CELTA Courses Sydney
CELTA Course Dates & Fees Sydney
Enhance your CELTA Certificate to simultaneously obtain the Certificate IV TESOL at Sydney (CBD) - Currently FREE of charge!
CELTA + Certificate IV in TESOL: How does it work?
On completion of CELTA in Sydney CBD or Bondi (full time, part time or online blended), candidates apply for RPL (recognition of prior learning) for CELTA*.
Depending on the candidate’s educational backgrounds, they will be instructed to either a) submit an assignment, b) evidence of prior learning, or c) nothing in case they already have studied the outstanding “unit” (subject).
On successful completion of the CELTA, the Certificate IV in TESOL will be issued, without having to attend the course face-to-face.
*In the RPL process, CELTA will be recognised as prior learning.
Certificate IV in TESOL Course Information
The nationally accredited Certificate IV TESOL course provides a qualification for teaching English in Australia and overseas. This course provides an intensive introduction to language teaching principles, approaches and methodology. It focuses on teaching English to adults.
The full time course is highly intensive. Study time is approximately 35 hours a week. Some of this will be classroom time and some will be independent study. You will have an additional 2 + hours per day of homework (reading, assignments and lesson preparation) and should also be prepared to study at the weekends.
- Adult learners – Motivation and learning styles
- Language analysis and awareness – Basic concepts and terminology used by English teachers, introduction to sounds of English and how to teach pronunciation
- Practical approaches for teaching language – grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation
- Practical approaches for teaching language skills – listening, reading speaking and writing
- Principles of lesson planning
- Teaching materials and resources
- Classroom management techniques
- Design of courses in the VET sector
Activities: Cert IV Sydney
- Teaching practice (6 assessed hours): A valuable opportunity to practice the skills you will learn on the course.
- Supervised lesson planning: Your experienced tutors will guide you in designing your own lesson plans and introduce you to a range of teaching resources and materials
- Feedback and counselling: Detailed personalised feedback from your tutor for all your lessons, as well as regular progress reports and individual counselling. You will also have the opportunity to discuss your lesson with the other participants on the course.
- The nationally recognised Certificate IV in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) that you receive on successful completion of the Cert IV TESOL course is accredited under the Australian Qualifications Training Framework (AQTF).
- The Training Center in Sydney is a registered training organisation in Australia (RTO). RTO qualifications are recognised throughout Australia and increasingly in other countries.
Certificate IV in TESOL Course Assessment
- There is no final examination.
- Assessment is continuous and is based on:
- Classroom teaching practice (planning, teaching, discussion & reflection) for six hours
- Written Assignments X 3
- All assessment tasks should be handed in to the tutor by the due date or time specified on the Cert IV TESOL timetable.
- You should retain a copy of your assessment task
CELTA 100% Online hosted by Sydney
Cambridge is now allowing CELTAs to be completed 100% online! This means that you don’t have to put your teaching career on hold and you can now take the CELTA in the safety of your own home.
What will the CELTA 100% Online Course be like?
The CELTA 100% Online course will have the same content and hours as a face to face CELTA course. The only difference is that you will be learning online and using the video conferencing platform, Zoom.
You will still be undergoing teaching practice and you will be assessed and moderated by an accredited CELTA Tutor. You will need to complete four written assignments throughout the course.
What will the CELTA 100% Online Format be like?
You will be part of a virtual classroom using the conferencing platform, Zoom, and you will need to be present throughout the duration of the four weeks.
You will need to undergo a minimum of six hours assessed teaching practice to a live classroom of English language learners from across the world. You will be assessed by a qualified CELTA Tutor and you will also be observed by your CELTA classmates (and vice versa), where you will receive feedback.
The CELTA 100% Online course in Sydney will be a full time course which will be four weeks long.
What are the benefits of taking the CELTA 100% Online?
As with the CELTA course, you will be gaining an internationally recognised TEFL qualification, which most reputable schools look for when they are hiring teachers.
With the online element, you can also enjoy the added benefits of:
1. Flexibility – part of the online learning component of the course will mean that you can take the course at home around your working hours
2. Accessibility – no more visa headaches, you can access the CELTA in the comfort of your own home and not have to pay additional travel or accommodation costs
3. Learning in an online environment – as you are taking the CELTA online, you will learn the core principles of learning how to teach a face-to-face classroom but you will also become familiar with the online teaching environment
Will it say “online” on my CELTA Certificate?
No. You will still get the standard CELTA Certificate, which is issued by Cambridge English Language Assessment (part of the University of Cambridge) and certifies that you have completed 120 hours of training.
What are the requirements for taking the CELTA 100% Online?
The eligibility requirements are still the same for taking the CELTA 100% Online. These requirements are:
- That you are 18 or over
- That you have a high language and grammar awareness or have an English language proficiency score of an IELTS 7.5 or a high C1
- That you have the qualifications that makes you eligible for higher education e.g. university (otherwise life experience can be taken into account)
For the online learning, we do recommend you also have:
- A good internet connection
- A laptop or desktop computer with speakers and a microphone
- A designated and comfortable working space at home
Gain your CERT IV TESOL for FREE!
For a limited time, the Sydney centres are offering CELTA 100% Online candidates to add to their CELTA Certification a CERTIFICATE IV TESOL. This would normally cost an extra 500 AUD.
Practical English Usage
Michael Swan - Read an Interview with the Author
As I was preparing to take the TEFL course to teach abroad and inquiring about the different books that the school was suggesting, I was told simply by my son who is also a teacher and the statement was confirmed by both my instructors, "just buy Swan, it's the bible and it's all you need". Practical English Usage is just that. For whatever reason Michael Swan decided to write this book, we are forever grateful. - Margaret M. Frye 5/5
BUY THIS BOOK New or used from amazon.co.uk
Jim Scrivener - Read an Interview with the Author
"Learning Teaching" has been one of the most successful guides to English since it was first published in 1994. Its no-nonsense approach has made it a superb teaching textbook for initial training courses, and also an essential handbook for practising ELT teachers. The third edition has been extensively revised and restructured to take recent developments in ELT into account and now includes a DVD featuring a full lesson being taught as well as demonstrations of practical teaching techniques.
BUY THIS BOOK New or used from amazon.co.uk
A Concise Grammar for English Teachers
Tony Penston - Read an Interview with the Author
I used Tony Penston's book when I was learning how to teach English as a Foreign Language. I found it really useful then and I still carry it with me for all teaching assignments - and I regularly refer to it for some grammatical point or other. It's easy to find what you want and nice and concise! It gets straight to the point. Apparently he's even got a sense of humour too, rarely seen in a grammarian, and a relief to this user. This really good book is useful for all teaching levels. Great value too. I do not hesitate to recommend it to all English language teachers. - John Osman 5/5
BUY THIS BOOK New or used from amazon.co.uk
CELTA Course Information & Entry Requirements, Sydney
About the CELTA Course
The Cambridge English Language Assessment CELTA Certificate is an introductory TEFL course in teaching English for candidates who have little or no previous English language teaching experience. It may also be suitable for candidates with some TEFL experience but little previous teacher training.
CELTA is an ELT (English Language Teaching) certificate, which encompasses TESL (i.e. Teaching English as Second Language) and TEFL (i.e. Teaching English as Foreign Language). It is the most widely recognised and respected international TEFL certificate in teaching English offered in Australia and around the world.
For all the information you'll need on the Cambridge CELTA course, read this helpful article.
CELTA Course Entry Requirements
To be accepted on the CELTA course in Sydney, applicants must fulfil the following criteria:
- A minimum age of 18 at the start of the CELTA course
- A good standard of education* (e.g. having gained university entrance qualifications, completed high school)
- Awareness and high level of competence in written and spoken English in order to be able to follow the course and prepare for teaching a range of levels
- For non-native speakers, the required command of English is that of Proficiency (CPE), IELTS 7.0 or higher , TOEIC 945+ points, (i.e. close to native speaker's competence)
- No previous teaching experience required
CELTA Course Content and Assessment
CELTA Course Sydney Content
The course consists of:
- A minimum of 120 contact hours between participants and course tutors (This includes lectures, tutorial support and lesson planning.)
- A minimum of 6 hours teaching practice (Supervised by a course tutor, feedback on teaching practice and peer observation.)
- A minimum of 6 hours directed observation of lessons taught by experienced teachers
- In addition to the scheduled timetable, the course also requires a minimum of a further 50 hours for required reading, research and preparation of lessons and assignments.
The course content covers:
- Language awareness
- The learner, the teacher and the teaching/learning context
- Planning for effective teaching of adult learners of English
- Classroom management and teaching skills for adult learners
- Resources and materials for teaching English to adults
- Professional development for teachers of English to Adults
CELTA Course Aims
The Cambridge CELTA course (formerly known as the RSA/Cambridge CTEFLA) leads to an internationally recognised qualification and is intended for people without previous teaching experience who wish to enter the profession of English language teaching to adults. It is also appropriate for those with some EFL experience, but no formal qualification or training, as well as for teachers from other fields who are interested in developing a career in English language teaching.
During the course, participants develop familiarity with the principles of effective teaching and acquire a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners.
The course is highly practical in approach and is designed to enable participants to:
- Develop an awareness of language and a knowledge of the description of English and apply these in their professional practice
- Develop an initial understanding of the contexts within which adults learn English, their motivations and the roles of the teacher and the learner
- Develop familiarity with the principles and practice of effective teaching to adult learners of English
- Develop basic skills for teaching adults in the language classroom
- Develop familiarity with appropriate resources and materials for use with adult learners of English for teaching, testing and for reference
- Identify opportunities for their own future development as professionals in the field
CELTA Course Assessment in Sydney, Australia
Course assessment, which is continuous and integrated, is based on classroom teaching practice and on written assignments. The certificate is awarded to candidates who satisfy all assessment criteria and complete all course requirements.
An external assessor, who is appointed by the University of Cambridge, visits each course in order to observe teaching practice and to inspect candidates' portfolios of written work. Their role is to standardise grading, recommend final grades and monitor the courses. The University of Cambridge awards final grades and issues certificates to successful candidates.
The full-time course is very intense and requires total commitment. In addition to course hours you should allow between three to four hours each evening for lesson preparation and writing assignments and one weekend day would also be required.
It is highly unlikely that you will be able to fulfil the course requirements if you have any other obligations over this period such as a part-time job or a commitment to another course. You should also be in good health and be able to manage the stress arising from an intense course of this nature.
Further Tertiary Training with the CELTA Certificate
The teacher training centre has established links with leading universities to ensure that teachers can continue to develop professionally through further study. Teachers who complete the CELTA in Sydney have advanced standing (credit points) awarded on a basis of:
University of Wollongong
1 out of 8 subjects in the Graduate Diploma in TESOL (can be taken by distance)
1 out of 4 subjects in the Graduate Certificate in TESOL (can be taken by distance)
1 out of 10 subjects of the MA Applied Linguistics (can be taken by distance)
University of New South Wales
1 out of 6 subjects of the MA Applied Linguistics
University of Canberra
1 out of 3 subjects of the Graduate Certificate or 1 out of 6 subjects for the Graduate Diploma in TESOL.
How to Apply for the CELTA in Sydney, Australia
If you believe you meet the requirements to do the CELTA Course, fill in our online application. After completing your application and any necessary pre-interview tasks you will be invited to an interview which can be conducted in person, by telephone or via Skype.
Please note: Your place is not confirmed on a course until you have been accepted and have paid a non-refundable deposit.
Unsure if you are Eligible to Apply for CELTA?
If you are unsure if you meet the requirements to apply for a CELTA course then you can take our CELTA Eligibility Test.
Employment opportunities with the CELTA
There are many job opportunities in Australia and overseas for CELTA and Cert IV in TESOL participants. The courses include a job workshop which gives practical advice on how to go about finding employment all around the world, and there is open access to the training centre job notice-board with details of many positions offered in a range of countries.
The training centre is part of a large English language college with campuses in Sydney, Perth, Cairns and Brisbane and teachers who successfully complete the courses and have the right to work in Australia often find employment within the organisation or within other recognised and accredited Australian colleges that recruit directly from these courses.
Find a TEFL Job Post CELTA
As a StudyCELTA trainee, you will be able to sign up for free to our TEFL jobs website www.teflwork.com. TEFLwork is a platform only for qualified English teachers and will allow you to find work both at home and abroad with your newly gained CELTA certificate.
How to Pay
Payments (deposit & balance) can be made directly to the School via Bank Transfer, Bank Cheque, Cash, VISA or MASTERCARD. Personal cheques will not be accepted.