CELTA Courses Adelaide
CELTA Course Dates & Fees, Adelaide
Are you eligible to take the CELTA? Find out!
CELTA 100% Online via Adelaide
For the first time, Cambridge Assessment is allowing students to take the CELTA completely online. This is a temporary opportunity that is available while the pandemic is ongoing and the lockdown continues throughout the world.
The CELTA centre in Adelaide has been running CELTA courses since 1992. They are now, for the first time, offering the CELTA 100% Online so you can continue your teacher training. Application are now open!
How will the CELTA Online work?
The CELTA online at the Adelaide centre will be a part time CELTA ran over 12 weeks. It is a 100% online and combines self guided study and real-time teaching practice coordinated by your tutor. The teaching practice will be done online teaching real students and you will be observed and assessed by your tutors.
Input sessions, where you get both practical and theoretical teaching knowledge, are delivered online. You will complete this part of the course content at your own pace but with tutor support using the Cambridge online learning platform (Moodle). Estimated time to complete this self paced part of the course approx. 10 hours weekly.
Lesson planning and teaching practice is delivered through Zoom and guided by your course tutor. This live sessions will happen every week on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 17.00 to 20.30 Adelaide time.
The course follows the same syllabus and leads to the same internationally recognised certificate as the face-to-face CELTA course. At the end of the course you will receive the same CELTA certificate as if you had done it face to face.
How will I be assessed on the CELTA 100% Online course?
Just like all CELTA courses, you will be assessed through:
- Four written assignments
- Completing 6 hours of teaching practice
The teaching practice is one of the most important elements of your course where you will be teaching a class of English language learners while being assessed. You will continually be offered feedback throughout the course to aid your development.
Will it say online on my certificate?
No. It will not state how you took the course. The certificate will be exactly the same as the CELTA face-to-face course.
What benefits will I get from taking the CELTA Online?
Most importantly, you will obtain a world recognised TEFL certificate that will open more doors to ELT jobs. With the CELTA Online, there are also these added benefits:
- Gain real teaching experience
- Get the opportunity to observe a qualified teacher
- Become familiar with the online teaching environment
- No visa headaches
- More flexible timetable
No added costs of travel and accommodation
Practical English Usage
Michael Swan - Read an Interview with the Author
As I was preparing to take the TEFL course to teach abroad and inquiring about the different books that the school was suggesting, I was told simply by my son who is also a teacher and the statement was confirmed by both my instructors, "just buy Swan, it's the bible and it's all you need". Practical English Usage is just that. For whatever reason Michael Swan decided to write this book, we are forever grateful. - Margaret M. Frye 5/5
BUY THIS BOOK New or used from amazon.co.uk
Jim Scrivener - Read an Interview with the Author
"Learning Teaching" has been one of the most successful guides to English since it was first published in 1994. Its no-nonsense approach has made it a superb teaching textbook for initial training courses, and also an essential handbook for practising ELT teachers. The third edition has been extensively revised and restructured to take recent developments in ELT into account and now includes a DVD featuring a full lesson being taught as well as demonstrations of practical teaching techniques.
BUY THIS BOOK New or used from amazon.co.uk
A Concise Grammar for English Teachers
Tony Penston - Read an Interview with the Author
I used Tony Penston's book when I was learning how to teach English as a Foreign Language. I found it really useful then and I still carry it with me for all teaching assignments - and I regularly refer to it for some grammatical point or other. It's easy to find what you want and nice and concise! It gets straight to the point. Apparently he's even got a sense of humour too, rarely seen in a grammarian, and a relief to this user. This really good book is useful for all teaching levels. Great value too. I do not hesitate to recommend it to all English language teachers. - John Osman 5/5
BUY THIS BOOK New or used from amazon.co.uk
CELTA Course Introduction, Adelaide
The Adelaide Teacher Training Centre has conducted University of Cambridge CELTA courses since 1992 .
The Cambridge CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is an international TEFL / TESL / TEFOL / TESOL / ELT training certificate course. Over 9,000 people a year participate in CELTA courses in approved centres in countries all over the world. All the successful participants receive a Certificate for Teaching English from the University of Cambridge.
The CELTA certificate is administered through University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations and is moderated by assessors from the University of Cambridge ensuring high standards worldwide.
CELTA Course Adelaide - Main Features
- Every centre must undergo an annual inspection to be registered to run courses.
- An outside assessor approved by Cambridge assesses every course run by the centre.
- Courses provide expert instruction in methodology and language analysis by Cambridge approved trainers.
- A minimum of 120 contact hours and an additional 80 hours for home study.
- A minimum of 2 trainers per course and a maximum of 1 trainer per 6 candidates.
- Candidates are involved in six hours of teaching practice which includes planning, implementation, observation of peers and experienced teachers, reflection on their teaching practice and feedback from trainers.
- Six hours of individual, observed and assessed teaching practice, conducted in classes with non-native speaking students is included in every course.
- A minimum of 6 hours observing experienced classroom teachers.
- Training is provided based on the best of current teaching practice and is constantly updated. The approach can be adapted to cater to the needs of students in a variety of contexts and can also be adapted for children and teenagers.
- Only people who meet the performance criteria are issued a certificate.
CELTA Course Syllabus Overview
- Learners, teachers and the teaching and learning context
- Language analysis and awareness
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Planning and resources for different teaching contexts
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism
Recognition & Regard
Due to the rigorous annual approval process and constant moderation of courses, the CELTA is highly regarded worldwide. The University of Cambridge is well known throughout the world therefore CELTA is often requested by employers nationally and internationally.
Find a TEFL Job Post CELTA
As a StudyCELTA trainee, you will be able to sign up for free to our TEFL jobs website www.teflwork.com. TEFLwork is a platform only for qualified English teachers and will allow you to find work both at home and abroad with your newly gained CELTA certificate.
The CELTA is recognised by:
- TEFL / TESL / TEFOL / TESOL / ELT (English language teaching) employers around the world
- English Language Colleges in Australia
- many ministries of education
- government bodies such as the British Council
- TESOL, IATEFL, EA and other major professional organisations.
It is also well regarded by organisations such as JET, and Volunteers Abroad.
CELTA is the most requested pre-service TEFL teaching qualification by both public and private employers overseas. When checking websites advertising English teaching jobs, you will often see CELTA listed as the preferred qualification.
Australian University Recognition & Credit
The CELTA offered in Adelaide is also given credit points for courses at a number of Australian universities.
|South Australia||Tasmania||Australian Capital Territory|
|Flinders University||University of Tasmania||University of Canberra|
|University of Adelaide|
|New South Wales||Western Australia||Victoria|
|University of New South Wales||Curtin University of Technology||La Trobe University|
|University of Wollongong|
|University of Technology Sydney|
CELTA Entry Requirements - Adelaide
No previous teaching experience or training is required, but candidates must:
- Be 18 years old by the commencement date of the course.
- Have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education, meaning having completed high school at least. (However, applicants who do not have formal qualifications may be accepted if the screening tasks suggest that they are likely to complete the course successfully.)
- Have an awareness of language and a competence in both written and spoken English which will enable them to undertake the course and prepare for teaching a range of levels
Please note: Fulfilling entry requirements does not automatically guarantee a place on the CELTA course. Selection of candidates is based on an application task and a pre-course interview. If applicants have been successful, they will receive an offer of place. If you are unsure about your eligibility for the CELTA course, please take our online CELTA eligibility test.
More about the international TEFL certificate in teaching English: CELTA offered in Adelaide.
Full Time CELTA Course Adelaide (4 Weeks in Adelaide)
The Full Time CELTA course offered in Adelaide is a 4 week course that includes 120 hours minimum of on campus contact (Monday to Friday, 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM) plus 80 hours minimum of home study.
- 9:00 – 11:00 Methodology
- 11:30 – 12:30 Language Analysis
- 1:30 – 3:00 Feedback and Lesson Preparation
- 3:30 – 5:30 Teaching Practice (learners from non-English speaking backgrounds at two levels.)
CELTA Course Assessment, Adelaide
1. CELTA Certificate Award
The Certificate will be awarded to candidates who meet the course requirements and whose performance meets or exceeds the criteria in both assessment components.
To meet the course requirements candidates are required to attend the whole course and to:
- complete teaching practice in a class of the relevant age group at two significantly different levels for a total of six hours
- observe experienced teachers for a total of six hours
- maintain and submit a portfolio of all course work including all written assignments and materials related to teaching practice
2. Mode of Assessment
The assessment will be continuous and integrated
- Continuous here means that assessment takes place throughout each course
- Integrated here means that both assessment components contribute to the overall grade
The Two Components of Assessment
Planning and teaching. Candidates are required to practice teaching for a total of six observed and assessed hours, working with adult learners at a minimum of two levels in classes of the required size. By the end of the course they should have demonstrated successful achievement of the teaching practice assessment criteria.
Classroom-related written assignments.
This component consists of four written assignments. Each is between 750 to 1000 words and should not exceed 3000 words. They are internally assessed and externally moderated. The assignments focus on the following:
- Adult learners and learning contexts
- An aspect of the language system of English
- An aspect of language skills
- Reflection on classroom teaching and the identification of action points
How to Apply for the CELTA in Adelaide, Australia
If you believe you meet the requirements to do the CELTA course, fill in our online application. After completing your application and any necessary pre-interview tasks, you will be invited to an interview which can be conducted in person, by telephone or via Skype.
Please note: Your place is not confirmed on a course until you have been accepted and have paid a non-refundable deposit.
Unsure if you are Eligible to Apply for CELTA?
If you are unsure if you meet the requirements to apply for a CELTA course then you can take our CELTA Eligibility Test.
How to Pay
Payments (deposit & balance) can be made directly to the School via Bank Transfer, Bank Cheque, Cash, VISA or MASTERCARD. Personal cheques will not be accepted.
Cancellations, Terms & Conditions -Adelaide
- This tuition fee is not refundable unless the college agrees with the reasons for withdrawal and a substitute candidate can be found.
- A transfer fee of $200.00 must be paid if a trainee decides to transfer to another course within two weeks of a course starting unless another candidate takes their place.
- The Cambridge Assessment Fee of $200.00 must be paid on the first day of your course and is not refundable.
- The center reserves the right to cancel a course if there is an insufficient number of candidates. In the event of cancellation of a course, all fees will be refunded.
- No refund is payable after you have commenced your course.
- CELTA candidates are financially responsible for all material borrowed from the College. (e.g. books, videos, audio tapes, etc.) Class texts can be bought from reception if you wish to write in them. Candidates are responsible for providing their own stationery and teaching materials (e.g. blu-tack, folder, etc.)
- CELTA candidates must confirm they are in a state of good health and provide details of any specific health or learning difficulties.
- CELTA candidates must inform the tutors in writing before the beginning of the course for which they have enrolled of any pre-existing medical problems (including stress-related conditions) which may have an adverse effect on their performance during the course. The course is demanding and sometimes stressful. Candidates, who withdraw after the beginning of the course, giving stress-related conditions as a reason, will not be offered a refund of their course fees.