English Teacher Training Edinburgh
About the TESOL Centres in Edinburgh
Manor Place Teacher Training Centre, Edinburgh
The teacher training centre in Manor Place is centrally located in Edinburgh and is just a ten minute walk from Haymarket train station. It is just minutes away from Princes Street with many snack bars, takeaways, pubs and restaurants nearby. The personnel at the Manor Place Teacher Training Centre have been running CELTA courses in Edinburgh since 1999.
More information about the facilities:
- 13 bright and comfortable year-round classrooms
- Average class size of 9
- Free high-speed wi-fi access
- Self-access study centre
- Common room
- City centre location
- Many shops, cafés and restaurants within 10 minutes’ walk
- 24 hour emergency phone number
Queen Street Teacher Training Centre, Edinburgh
With over 50 years' experience in teaching, the Queen Street Edinburgh training centre has a long tradition of academic excellence and remains dedicated to empowering each student in their education.
Located in the heart of Edinburgh's historic New Town, the Edinburgh training centre provides a unique academic environment, where you will study alongside international and local students.
Experienced and well qualified teaching staff work hard to ensure that you receive a high level of academic support, encouraging your progression. We believe that learning happens both inside and outside the classroom and we are committed to helping you progress.
George Street Teacher Training Centre - Edinburgh
The George Street centre offers a friendly, welcoming and supportive community, in and out of the classroom. The daily classes are held in a beautiful, centrally located building. Situated on the edge of Edinburgh’s New Town, the school also looks out over the Old Town, with spectacular views of Edinburgh Castle.
The school is easy to access via public transport, with Waverley Station, Princes Street tram stop and multiple bus stops less than five minutes’ walk away. The school is also within easy walking distance from a number of popular residential areas in Edinburgh.
It's in close proximity to many scenic parks, hills and open green spaces, including Princes St Gardens, the Botanic Gardens, Calton Hill, Holyrood Park and Arthur’s Seat. The centre also features:
- A cosy lounge with vending machines
- A study centre with computers and printers
- Free Wi-Fi
- An extensive CELTA library
- Dedicated classrooms for teacher training
Trainees have direct contact with recruiters, job search advice and interview coaching to get your teaching career off to a good start. You will also receive hands-on experience and training with the latest teaching technology as well as the full range of classroom equipment. The school is open until 20:30 Monday-Thursday, so trainees are welcome to use the common room and study centre in the evenings.
In addition to the usual class teaching, our CELTA course includes a unique one-to-one teaching module, with assessed and unassessed one-to-one teaching practice.
The course features intensive personal coaching, with trainers sharing decades of teaching experience across the globe, and the school boasts a pass rate of 100%, with consistently positive trainee feedback and high rates of employment in EFL teaching after the course. The CELTA course offered at the school includes a CV workshop, interview training, job search coaching and career development advice, with the input of recruiters from international EFL companies. All trainees are offered an interview; suitable candidates will be offered a job abroad at the end of the course.
Find a TEFL Job Post CELTA
As a StudyCELTA trainee, you will be able to sign up for free to our TEFL jobs website www.teflwork.com. TEFLwork is a platform only for qualified English teachers and will allow you to find work both at home and abroad with your newly gained CELTA certificate.
Accommodation 2019 in Edinburgh
Accommodation Options Manor Place Centre
One of the best ways for students to improve their English speaking is to choose homestay accommodation. Family life is informal and the people are welcoming, friendly and talkative, so you will have plenty of opportunities to practise your English.
Please note there is a £20 summer supplement for all residential bookings for the months of June, July and August.
Stay in a beautiful, modern residential accommodation, just 20 minutes from the school on foot and 10 minutes from Prince’s Street!
- Newly-built Edinburgh student residences, opened in 2014
- Central location, especially popular with students and young professionals
- Close to shops, bars and The Meadows park
- Less than 20 minutes’ walk to the school building
- All rooms are en-suite, in an apartment of between 3 and 8 bedrooms
- All rooms finished to a high standard, with double beds, shower rooms and study spaces.
- Wi-Fi throughout the building and in bedrooms
- All bedrooms share a kitchen and lounge-diner social space
- 24 hour on-site support
- Electronic key entry
- Common room
- Laundry facility
- Bike storage
- Reception staff to help with any questions about Edinburgh
Accommodation Options Queen Street Centre
The school has a dedicated Accommodation department, whose job it is to find you safe and comfortable accommodation within easy reach of the city centre. Whether you decide to stay with a local host family, in an apartment, or in a hotel or guesthouse, we are happy to help you find the best option and to help deal with reservations.
- Friendly and welcoming hosts
- Guaranteed a room all to yourself
- Wide variety of homestays available, incl. self-catering and executive
- All homestays located close to a major bus route
- Homestays all within the Edinburgh city boundaries
- Daily meals available with half-board and B&B options
- Checked regularly to ensure they are of a high standard
Single room - Breakfast and evening meals during the week. All meals at the weekend.£207 per week
Single room - En-suite - Breakfast and evening meals during the week. All meals at the weekend. £334 per week.
Accommodation Options George Street
|Homestay 2019||Standard Homestay (per week)|
|Single room, Half board||£196|
|Single room, Breakfast only||£172|
|Shared room, Half board||£172|
|Shared room, Breakfast only||£148|
High season supplement: £15 per week from 29/06/2019 to 01/09/2019.
|Residence||McDonald Road Apartments (per week)|
|Single room, En-suite, Self-catering||£260|
We recommend candidates book accommodation through AirBnB.
Immerse yourself in Edinburgh life with a local homestay host, providing more contact with English speakers and a real insight into life in Edinburgh. Our hosts treat each student as a member of the family, eating together and sharing common living areas. Homestays are up to 45 mins from the school by bus.
- Location: 15-45 minutes from the school by bus
- Bedroom: single or twin
- Facilities: shared or private bathroom, study desk and access to the washing machine and living room
- Meals: bed-and-breakfast or half-board
- Capacity: maximum 4 students in one household
- Internet: available in most homestay accommodation
Live with other students whilst enjoying your own independence in student apartments. Conveniently located, the residence is close to a wide range of local amenities, including supermarkets, cafes, restaurants, bars, an Omnicentre Cinema and the Edinburgh Playhouse Theatre. The student residence is 15 mins walk from the school; early booking is strongly recommended as places are limited.
- Location: less than 30 minutes from the school on foot
- Bedroom: single
- Facilities: private en-suite bathroom, study desk, washing machine, living room and kitchen
- Meals: self-catering
- Capacity: maximum 4 students per apartment
- Internet: yes
Edinburgh and Surroundings
Arriving to Edinburgh
Edinburgh Airport is located around 9 miles from the city centre and the journey takes around 30 minutes by bus. Book an Airport Transfer through us, take a taxi (around £30) or catch the Airlink Airport bus from outside the Arrivals Hall.
Getting around Edinburgh
Buses - most buses start at 0600 and stop around 2300. Visit the Lothian Bus website for up-to-date travel information.
Tram - a new and popular method to travel to the city centre. Trams every 10 minutes each way, taking 40 minutes to arrive centrally at Princes Street. Return tickets £8.
Taxis - taxis are available throughout the city and are available for hire when the orange FOR HIRE sign is illuminated.
Trains - the college is located very close to Edinburgh Waverley and Haymarket stations. Tickets vary in price - book early for the best deals. Visit National Rail for timetables and pricing.
Car rental - students receive a 10% discount on Enterprise car hire. Please contact us for further information.
Did you know?
- Edinburgh has a population of around 450,000 people, which grows to over 1.5 million during the Festival.
- The Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August is the largest in the world, attracting over 3000 international performers.
- The city's Hogmanay (or New Year) celebrations are also the biggest in the world, ending with a spectacular fireworks display at the stroke of midnight.
- Edinburgh was the first UNESCO World City of Literature. J.K. Rowling wrote the first Harry Potter book in "The Elephant House" cafe in Edinburgh.
- Famous people born in Edinburgh include: Sean Connery, Alexander Graham Bell, Robert Louis Stevenson, Tony Blair, Ian Rankin, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
- The city's airport hosts almost 9 million visitors every year, with flights from over 100 destinations around the world. Flights from London take just 1 hour.
- Edinburgh University is one of the oldest universities in the world, dating back to 1582. Charles Darwin studied Medicine here from October 1825.
- Edinburgh's economy is the strongest in the UK after London, worth around £11bn per year.
Blog articles about Edinburgh
Edinburgh is far and wide the UK’s top festival city. Throughout the month of August the population almost doubles – from 700,000 to over 1.5 million over a few short weeks. There’s something for all tastes; from the grandly traditional Military Tattoo, to the alternate crowd at the Festival Fringe. Read more...