CELTA Courses Barcelona
CELTA Course Dates & Fees in Barcelona
Are you eligible to take the CELTA? Find out!
CELTA 100% Online Hosted via Barcelona (Passeig de Gracia)
Due to the current pandemic, Cambridge Assessment is for the first time allowing the CELTA to be taken 100% online. This is so candidates can continue their teaching training but from their safety of their own homes.
The Barcelona CELTA centre (Passeig de Gracia) is now offering online CELTA courses for a limited time only. This will be a unique experience where you will be able to get a world-class qualification that enables you teach English in a classroom and also in an online environment.
How will the Cambridge Online CELTA work?
The Barcelona CELTA hosted by the Passeig de Gracia centre will be offering dynamic workshops through their online platform from Monday to Friday.
They will be using the video conferencing platform, Zoom, for live input sessions and teaching practice. Even if you do not have any previous experience using Zoom, the Barcelona CELTA centre will help you get used to the online platform.
You will be learning the same content as you would in a face-to-face CELTA, which will be the core methodologies and principles to teaching English in a classroom, which can also be adapted online. The course will also include language and grammar methodology, choosing materials and practical teaching experience.
Will the CELTA 100% Online Course be examined differently?
As the content will be the same, you will still be assessed and moderated by a qualified CELTA trainer. You will need to complete a minimum of six hours teaching practice and you will need to complete four written assignments during the course.
How will the online teaching practice run?
At the beginning of your course, you will be divided into small groups of around six and an experienced tutor will guide you on how to teach a class.
For your assessed teaching practice, you will be teaching classes of around six to twelve students. You will have access to one-to-one tutor support and you will be given feedback from your tutor and your peers. You will also get the opportunity to observe your peers, learn from them and offer them feedback.
Part Time Online CELTA courses via Barcelona (Passeig de Gracia)
For those unable to commit to the intensity of a four week course, the online part time CELTA is an easier and more flexible solution.
With Barcelona (Passeig de Gracia) part time online CELTA, you need only to commit 15 – 20 hours per week of study, which spans over 13 weeks.
Teaching Practice sessions will be every Saturday. You can choose 9:30 to 15:30 or 15.30 to 21.30
The course will be delivered through the Cambridge Learning Platform and you can work through the content week by week. You will need to put at least 5 hours per week for the input sessions and you will need to be in attendance for the teaching practice, which will be six hours per week. There will also be additional home study, so you will be expect to complete 15 – 20 hours per week depending how much home study you allocate.
What are the benefits of taking a Cambridge CELTA online?
The CELTA is one of the most highly regarded TEFL qualification internationally and most reputable schools will look for this certificate when they are hiring their staff.
Now in its online format, it means that the Cambridge CELTA is more:
- Accessible: No more visa headache or extra costs on travel or accommodation
- Flexible: You can take the CELTA from the safety of your home and you will have access to their online materials
The CELTA will train you with the core methodologies and principles to teach English in the classroom, however because of the online nature you will quickly become familiar with how to use the tools that is needed to teach online.
Where can I teach once I have a CELTA 100% Online qualification?
You can teach anywhere! The CELTA can enable you to teach in language schools and colleges, you can freelance, you can teach immigrants and with the 100% online CELTA, you are more equipped to teach online.
Practical English Usage
Michael Swan - Read an Interview with the Author
As I was preparing to take the TEFL course to teach abroad and inquiring about the different books that the school was suggesting, I was told simply by my son who is also a teacher and the statement was confirmed by both my instructors, "just buy Swan, it's the bible and it's all you need". Practical English Usage is just that. For whatever reason Michael Swan decided to write this book, we are forever grateful. - Margaret M. Frye 5/5
BUY THIS BOOK New or used from amazon.co.uk
Jim Scrivener - Read an Interview with the Author
"Learning Teaching" has been one of the most successful guides to English since it was first published in 1994. Its no-nonsense approach has made it a superb teaching textbook for initial training courses, and also an essential handbook for practising ELT teachers. The third edition has been extensively revised and restructured to take recent developments in ELT into account and now includes a DVD featuring a full lesson being taught as well as demonstrations of practical teaching techniques.
BUY THIS BOOK New or used from amazon.co.uk
A Concise Grammar for English Teachers
Tony Penston - Read an Interview with the Author
I used Tony Penston's book when I was learning how to teach English as a Foreign Language. I found it really useful then and I still carry it with me for all teaching assignments - and I regularly refer to it for some grammatical point or other. It's easy to find what you want and nice and concise! It gets straight to the point. Apparently he's even got a sense of humour too, rarely seen in a grammarian, and a relief to this user. This really good book is useful for all teaching levels. Great value too. I do not hesitate to recommend it to all English language teachers. - John Osman 5/5
BUY THIS BOOK New or used from amazon.co.uk
About the CELTA Courses
The CELTA course is the original "TEFL" course and provides initial training leading to a Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA). It is intended for those without previous experience who wish to enter the profession and for teachers with no previous training in this field.
Success in the CELTA Certificate has enabled many candidates to obtain their first teaching position: the CELTA course that we offer in Barcelona is highly regarded by employers as providing sound initial training and a strong basis from which to develop as a teacher of English.
CELTA Course Content
The CELTA course covers the following syllabus:
- Language Analysis and Awareness
- The Learner, the Teacher and the Teaching/Learning Context
- Planning for Effective Teaching
- Classroom Management Skills
- Teaching Procedures and Techniques
- Resources and Materials
- Professional Development
- Classroom Observation
- Teaching Practice
CELTA Teaching Practice
Teaching practice is an integral part of the course. This is organised in small groups of 5-6 trainees with volunteer students at two or three different levels. After each teaching practice session an evaluation of the session is led by a course tutor. At the Center in Barcelona, trainees are expected to liase within their groups outside course hours in order to plan teaching practice classes, according to guidelines provided by course tutors.
CELTA Course Assessment
Trainees are continuously assessed in all the syllabus areas, including written assignments, and with particular emphasis on their teaching ability and potential. At the end of the course successful candidates receive the Cambridge Certificate and a Progress Report.
Find a TEFL Job Post CELTA
As a StudyCELTA trainee, you will be able to sign up for free to our TEFL jobs website www.teflwork.com. TEFLwork is a platform only for qualified English teachers and will allow you to find work both at home and abroad with your newly gained CELTA certificate.
CELTA Entry Criteria for Barcelona
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old at the start of the course.
- They must have a standard of education which would allow entrance to higher education in their country (i.e. University entrance / High School completed).
- They must have an awareness of language, and a competence in English, both written and spoken, that enables them to follow the course.
- They must also have the potential to develop into effective teachers.
If you are unsure if you are eligible to apply for CELTA, take our CELTA eligibility test.
CELTA Length & Timetable in Barcelona
You can take a CELTA course in Barcelona either full, part-time or online blended:
- Full-time over four weeks:
- CELTA courses have a minimum of 120 contact hours, plus a further 80 hours plus for required outside of classtime tasks, including assignments and lesson planning. The full-time CELTA course offered in Barcelona is very intensive and requires a full-time commitment. It is not possible or advisable to hold even a part-time job while on the CELTA course.
- Part-time over four months:
- The 120-hour-plus part-time CELTA course is specially designed for people living and working in Barcelona.
Find out more information about the Cambridge CELTA Certificate.
CELTA Full Time Timetable (4 weeks)
Sessions are held Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 5:30pm including teaching practice. A typical day on the full-time CELTA course offered in Barcelona is as follows, although there are sometimes variations:
- 9-10.15 Input session 1
- 10.15-10.45 Break
- 10.45-12-15 Input session 2
- 12.15-13.00 Feedback on previous day's TP and assisted lesson planning
- 13.00-14.00 Lunch break
- 14.00-16.15 Teaching Practice with real students
- 16.15-17.00 Initial feedback on TP and assisted lesson planning
CELTA Part Time Timetable (4 months)
Sessions are between 9.00am and 2.30pm on Mondays and Wednesdays, including teaching practice.
A typical day on the part-time CELTA course offered in Barcelona is as follows, although there are may be variations:
- 9-10.45 Input session
- 10.45-11.00 Break
- 11.00-11.30 Feedback & assisted lesson planning
- 12.00-14.00 Teaching practice with real students
- 14.00-14.30 Feedback & assisted lesson planning
CELTA Online-Blended Course
Barcelona - Plaça de Catalunya:
Who is the course suitable for:
This course format is probably best suited for those who are resident in Eastern Spain, particularly Catalonia, who can manage to travel to the school on the 14 occasions required over the 15 weeks the course lasts.
For some of you this may mean staying overnight in Barcelona on a Thursday in order to be able to attend the school on the Friday morning at 9.00 am.
Note that you do not need advanced computer skills to take the online CELTA course: the ability to use email and the internet and have basic typing skills is all that is required.
Note that this is a blended learning course: it is not 100% online as trainees have to attend 14 face-to-face sessions at IH Barcelona.
These face-to-face sessions will involve going to the school every Friday morning during the 15-week duration of the course.
The University of Cambridge requires candidates on all CELTA courses, whether online or face-to-face, to teach for a total of six hours during the course. This teaching is observed and assessed by course tutors and is divided into 10 separate teaching slots for each candidate, requiring attendance at the school on the fourteen occasions mentioned above.
Please note that the online CELTA is assessed and moderated according to the same criteria as fully face-to-face courses and leads to exactly the same qualification.
Apart from the timetable, course format and delivery, the CELTA Online course is to all intents and purposes identical to all other CELTA courses (including the price!)
The online component
Candidates should be prepared to spend a minimum of five hours a week online to work on interactive tasks, participate in guided video observation and forum discussion.
There will also be online tutorials with the main course tutor.
All input is delivered online and can be completed in the candidate's own time within deadlines set by the course tutor. The online materials are available to each candidate throughout the course, enabling easy self-study and revision.
Candidates attend Teaching Practice(TP) classes every Friday morning.
The morning is broken down as follows:
- 09.15—09.45 Feedback, planning and set up of the day's classes
- 09.45—12.30 TP
- 12.30—14.00 Feedback and planning of the next class
Barcelona - Passeig de Gracia:
Who is the course suitable for:
If you have a busy schedule and you are unable to attend a CELTA 4-week intensive course, the online (blended) CELTA course could be for you. This course has been designed to be flexible and still offer the same high-quality training as the full time CELTA course. The School provides all the support you need online and offline in order to successfully obtain your Cambridge CELTA certificate.
As a participant of this course, you will complete online work with the support from a tutor and attend the school in Barcelona on 12 Saturdays (over 16 weeks). There will be breaks during the course so that you can complete your assignments.
You can expect to spend a minimum of five hours a week studying online. You will complete interactive tasks, participate in guided video observation and contribute to the forum discussions. Your tutor will also join you in the forum discussions and provide online tutorials. You can revisit and revise from the materials throughout the course. One of the great things about this is that you can complete the work in a place and at a time which suits you.
The first day that you will need to attend in centre at our school in Barcelona will be Saturday 30th March 2019.
Face to face phase (teaching practice) is scheduled for every Saturday throughout the course except for April the 13th and 20th, May 18th and June 22nd
Last teaching practice day will be Saturday the 13th of July.
You can complete the online work on a day and time which suits you. Each week you will work through a module (around 5 hours). On Saturdays you will come to our school. In the first week you will observe a tutor. Then you will teach one 45-minute class on each teaching practice day and observe your peers teaching three 45-minute classes. During the course there will be breaks to complete assignments and work on your lesson plans.
The schedule on Saturdays will be:
- 09.30—10.00 Feedback, planning and set up of the day’s classes
- 10.00—11.30 Teaching Practice (2 x 45 minute blocks)
- 12.00—13-30 Teaching Practice (2 x 45 minute blocks)
- 13.30 – 14.00 Lunch
- 14.00 – 15.30 Feedback and planning of the next class
The Online CELTA is assessed and moderated using the same criteria as the intensive 4-week face-to-face course and leads to exactly the same qualification. The University of Cambridge requires candidates on all CELTA courses teach a total of six hours during the course. This teaching is observed and assessed by course tutors and is divided into 8-10 separate classes for each candidate.
CELTA Course + Spanish Course (Plaça de Catalunya)
The teacher training centre is also linked to a long established (i.e. 1972) Spanish language school in Barcelona , the school is located in the same building as the training centre.
If you are planning to look for teaching work in Spain or South America after completing your course, and your Spanish language skills are limited, we suggest you to consider taking a Spanish language course before or after completing your teacher training course.
Intensive Spanish Courses in Barcelona (Plaça de Catalunya)
The centre in Barcelona provides Spanish courses all year round for all levels. Most classes start on Mondays.
Class is conducted Monday to Friday from 09:30 am - 13:30 pm with a 20 minute break. Each class has an average of 7 students. Prices include all feeds and course materials. The course also includes social and cultural activities, great if you want to learn more about Spanish culture.
Accommodation is booked separately. You can combine these course with a CELTA or take them on their own. If you would like to apply with a CELTA, please let us know that you are interested when you apply.
Some Spanish courses are run in the afternoon - evening in the summer, in the morning there are cultural visits and activities.
|Spanish Course Prices Per Week|
|1 - 2 weeks €210|
|3 - 6 weeks €200|
|Apply for CELTA Barcelona|
How to Apply for this offer:
Once you have applied for your CELTA course at the Barcelona Passeig de Gracia Centre, have been accepted onto the course and paid in full please tell the Course Administrator about your interest in the Specialisation Course, choosing one of the three.
How to Apply for the CELTA in Barcelona, Spain
If you believe you meet the requirements to do the CELTA course, fill in our online application. After completing your application and any necessary pre-interview tasks you will be invited to an interview which can be conducted in person, by telephone or via Skype.
Please note: Your place is not confirmed on a course until you have been accepted and have paid a non-refundable deposit.
Unsure if you are Eligible to Apply for CELTA?
If you are unsure if you meet the requirements to apply for a CELTA course then you can take our CELTA Eligibility Test.
How to Pay
Payments (deposit & balance) can be made directly to the school via Bank Transfer, Bank Cheque, VISA or MASTERCARD.
Please note that you will be responsible for any bank charges or credit card transaction fees, even if you have already paid bank charges in your own country. So please, when paying make sure that the payment to the School is "free of charges" since the School has to receive the whole net amount in EUROS.
Passeig de Gracia
- Deposits are non-refundable.
- Fee must be paid no later than 15 working days before the first day of the course.
- If you postpone the starting date of your CELTA course giving:
- More than 4 weeks notice—no penalty. The deposit will be valid for a future course. The course must be completed within one year of its postponement.
- Less than 4 weeks notice—you will forfeit your original deposit which must be paid again. If any other payments have been made, that money will be valid for a future course. The course must be completed within one year of its postponement.
- If you cancel the CELTA course:
- More than 4 weeks before the course starts—full refund of balance (not of deposit)
- Between 2 and 4 weeks before the course starts—50% refund of balance (not of deposit)
- Less than 2 weeks before the course starts—0% refund
- If you do not show up to your course and do not give us any prior notification of this, there will be no refund given of any course fees paid.
- If your visa is rejected, as long as proof of rejection is sent to us, we would refund full fees except the deposit of the course and a €150 administration charge (including visa support).
- If a visa is required, course fees must be received at least two weeks before any appointment at the consulate to allow sufficient time to prepare and send documents.
- The place on any course and fees paid cannot be transferred to another person.
- Postponements of extension courses are possible giving no less than 1 week notice. No penalty will be applied in these cases. If the extension course is postponed it must be completed within one year of its postponement. If the centre cancels the extension course, you will receive a full refund. If a trainee cancels the extension course, no refund will be given.
- The centre cannot be held responsible for loss or theft of personal belongings.
- We reserve the right to cancel a course up to 2 weeks before the start date. In this case your full fees will be refunded (including deposit).
- A fee of €100 is applicable to any referred projects (if a project fails and needs to be remarked).
Plaça de Catalunya
- In all cases of cancellation we will retain 10% of fees paid to cover administrative costs.
- In the case of cancellation six weeks or more before the course starting date, 20% of our total fee will be retained.
- With less than six weeks' notice, 50% of our total fee will be retained.
- If cancellation occurs in the final ten days before the starting date our total fee will be retained.
- Once the course has started, THERE WILL BE NO REFUND.
- For this reason, we recommend that you get an Insurance policy in order to be covered in case anything happens and you need to leave the course.