CELTA Courses Barcelona
CELTA Course Dates & Fees in Barcelona
CELTA 100% Online Hosted via Barcelona
Due to the current pandemic, Cambridge Assessment is for the first time allowing the CELTA to be taken 100% online. This is so candidates can continue their teaching training but from their safety of their own homes.
The Barcelona CELTA centre is now offering full time and part-time 100% Online CELTA courses for a limited time only. This will be a unique experience where you will be able to get a world-class qualification that enables you teach English in a classroom and also in an online environment.
How will the Cambridge Online CELTA work?
The Barcelona CELTA centre will be offering dynamic workshops through their online platform.
You will use the video conferencing platform, Zoom, for live input sessions and teaching practice. Even if you do not have any previous experience using Zoom, the Barcelona CELTA centre will help you get used to the online platform. In addition to this, you will also be taught how to use some of the latest tools in teaching English online which will give you a great advantage if you plan to do this in the future.
You will be learning the same content as you would on a face-to-face CELTA course, which will be the core methodologies and principles to teaching English in a classroom, which can also be adapted online. The course will also include language and grammar methodology, choosing materials and practical teaching experience.
The Barcelona centre has trained over 600 teachers since the 100% Online CELTA course became available in April 2020. The average pass rate is 97% and the graduate satisfaction rating is 9.4.
Will the CELTA 100% Online Course be examined differently?
As the content will be the same, you will still be assessed and moderated by a qualified CELTA trainer. You will need to complete a minimum of six hours teaching practice and you will need to complete four written assignments during the course.
How will the online teaching practice run?
At the beginning of your course, you will be divided into small groups of around six and an experienced tutor will guide you on how to teach a class.
For your assessed teaching practice, you will be teaching classes of around six to twelve students. You will have access to one-to-one tutor support and you will be given feedback from your tutor and your peers. You will also get the opportunity to observe your peers, learn from them and offer them feedback.
Part Time Online CELTA courses via Barcelona centre
For those unable to commit to the intensity of a four week course, the online part time CELTA is an easier and more flexible solution.
With our Barcelona centre's part time online CELTA, you need only to commit just 15 – 20 hours per week of study, which spans over 13 weeks.
Teaching Practice sessions will be on specific days and will depend on the course dates you choose. There are typically two schedules available.
The course will be delivered through the Cambridge Learning Platform and you can work through the content week by week. You will need to dedicate at least 5 hours per week to the input sessions and you will need to attend the teaching practice during the schedule you have chosen, which will be six hours per week. There will also be additional home study, so you will be expect to complete 15 – 20 hours per week in total, depending on how much home study you allocate.
What are the benefits of taking a Cambridge CELTA online?
The CELTA is one of the most highly regarded TEFL qualification internationally and most reputable schools will look for this certificate when they are hiring their staff.
Now in its online format, it means that the Cambridge CELTA is more:
- Accessible: No more visa headache or extra costs on travel or accommodation
- Flexible: You can take the CELTA from the safety of your home and you will have access to their online materials
The CELTA will train you with the core methodologies and principles to teach English in the classroom, however because of the online nature you will quickly become familiar with how to use the tools that is needed to teach online.
Where can I teach once I have a CELTA 100% Online qualification?
You can teach anywhere! The CELTA can enable you to teach in language schools and colleges, you can freelance, you can teach immigrants and with the 100% online CELTA, you are more equipped to teach online.
Practical English Usage
Michael Swan - Read an Interview with the Author
As I was preparing to take the TEFL course to teach abroad and inquiring about the different books that the school was suggesting, I was told simply by my son who is also a teacher and the statement was confirmed by both my instructors, "just buy Swan, it's the bible and it's all you need". Practical English Usage is just that. For whatever reason Michael Swan decided to write this book, we are forever grateful. - Margaret M. Frye 5/5
BUY THIS BOOK New or used from amazon.co.uk
Jim Scrivener - Read an Interview with the Author
"Learning Teaching" has been one of the most successful guides to English since it was first published in 1994. Its no-nonsense approach has made it a superb teaching textbook for initial training courses, and also an essential handbook for practising ELT teachers. The third edition has been extensively revised and restructured to take recent developments in ELT into account and now includes a DVD featuring a full lesson being taught as well as demonstrations of practical teaching techniques.
BUY THIS BOOK New or used from amazon.co.uk
A Concise Grammar for English Teachers
Tony Penston - Read an Interview with the Author
I used Tony Penston's book when I was learning how to teach English as a Foreign Language. I found it really useful then and I still carry it with me for all teaching assignments - and I regularly refer to it for some grammatical point or other. It's easy to find what you want and nice and concise! It gets straight to the point. Apparently he's even got a sense of humour too, rarely seen in a grammarian, and a relief to this user. This really good book is useful for all teaching levels. Great value too. I do not hesitate to recommend it to all English language teachers. - John Osman 5/5
BUY THIS BOOK New or used from amazon.co.uk
About the CELTA Courses
The CELTA course is the original "TEFL" course and provides initial training leading to a Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA). It is intended for those without previous experience who wish to enter the profession and for teachers with no previous training in this field.
Success in the CELTA Certificate has enabled many candidates to obtain their first teaching position: the CELTA course that we offer in Barcelona is highly regarded by employers as providing sound initial training and a strong basis from which to develop as a teacher of English.
CELTA Course Content
The CELTA course covers the following syllabus:
- Language Analysis and Awareness
- The Learner, the Teacher and the Teaching/Learning Context
- Planning for Effective Teaching
- Classroom Management Skills
- Teaching Procedures and Techniques
- Resources and Materials
- Professional Development
- Classroom Observation
- Teaching Practice
CELTA Teaching Practice
Teaching practice is an integral part of the course. This is organised in small groups of 5-6 trainees with volunteer students at two or three different levels. After each teaching practice session an evaluation of the session is led by a course tutor. At the Barcelona centre, trainees are expected to liaise within their groups outside course hours in order to plan teaching practice classes, according to guidelines provided by course tutors.
CELTA Course Assessment
Trainees are continuously assessed in all the syllabus areas, including written assignments, and with particular emphasis on their teaching ability and potential. At the end of the course successful candidates receive the Cambridge Certificate and a Progress Report.
Find a TEFL Job Post CELTA
As a StudyCELTA trainee, you will be able to sign up for free to our TEFL jobs website www.teflwork.com. TEFLwork is a platform only for qualified English teachers and will allow you to find work both at home and abroad with your newly gained CELTA certificate.
CELTA Entry Criteria for Barcelona
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old at the start of the course.
- They must have a standard of education which would allow entrance to higher education in their country (i.e. University entrance / High School completed).
- They must have an awareness of language, and a competence in English, both written and spoken, that enables them to follow the course.
- They must also have the potential to develop into effective teachers.
If you are unsure if you are eligible to apply for CELTA, take our CELTA eligibility test.
CELTA Length & Timetable in Barcelona
You can take a CELTA course in Barcelona either full or part-time:
- Full-time over four weeks:
- CELTA courses have a minimum of 120 contact hours, plus a further 80 hours plus for required outside of classtime tasks, including assignments and lesson planning. The full-time CELTA course offered in Barcelona is very intensive and requires a full-time commitment. It is not possible or advisable to hold even a part-time job while on the CELTA course.
- Part-time over four months:
- The 120-hour-plus part-time CELTA course is specially designed for people living and working in Barcelona.
Find out more information about the Cambridge CELTA Certificate.
CELTA Full Time Timetable (4 weeks)
Sessions are held Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 5:30pm including teaching practice. A typical day on the full-time CELTA course offered in Barcelona is as follows, although there are sometimes variations:
- 9-10.15 Input session 1
- 10.15-10.45 Break
- 10.45-12-15 Input session 2
- 12.15-13.00 Feedback on previous day's TP and assisted lesson planning
- 13.00-14.00 Lunch break
- 14.00-16.15 Teaching Practice with real students
- 16.15-17.00 Initial feedback on TP and assisted lesson planning
CELTA Part Time Timetable (4 months)
Sessions are between 9.00am and 2.30pm on Mondays and Wednesdays, including teaching practice.
A typical day on the part-time CELTA course offered in Barcelona is as follows, although there are may be variations:
- 9-10.45 Input session
- 10.45-11.00 Break
- 11.00-11.30 Feedback & assisted lesson planning
- 12.00-14.00 Teaching practice with real students
- 14.00-14.30 Feedback & assisted lesson planning
How to Apply for the CELTA in Barcelona, Spain
If you believe you meet the requirements to do the CELTA course, fill in our online application. After completing your application and any necessary pre-interview tasks you will be invited to an interview which can be conducted in person, by telephone or via Skype.
Please note: Your place is not confirmed on a course until you have been accepted and have paid a non-refundable deposit.
Unsure if you are Eligible to Apply for CELTA?
If you are unsure if you meet the requirements to apply for a CELTA course then you can take our CELTA Eligibility Test.
How to Pay
Payments (deposit & balance) can be made directly to the school via Bank Transfer, Bank Cheque, VISA or MASTERCARD.
Please note that you will be responsible for any bank charges or credit card transaction fees, even if you have already paid bank charges in your own country. So please, when paying make sure that the payment to the School is "free of charges" since the School has to receive the whole net amount in EUROS.
- Deposits are non-refundable.
- Fee must be paid no later than 15 working days before the first day of the course.
- If you postpone the starting date of your CELTA course giving:
- More than 4 weeks notice—no penalty. The deposit will be valid for a future course. The course must be completed within one year of its postponement.
- Less than 4 weeks notice—you will forfeit your original deposit which must be paid again. If any other payments have been made, that money will be valid for a future course. The course must be completed within one year of its postponement.
- If you cancel the CELTA course:
- More than 4 weeks before the course starts—full refund of balance (not of deposit)
- Between 2 and 4 weeks before the course starts—50% refund of balance (not of deposit)
- Less than 2 weeks before the course starts—0% refund
- If you do not show up to your course and do not give us any prior notification of this, there will be no refund given of any course fees paid.
- If your visa is rejected, as long as proof of rejection is sent to us, we would refund full fees except the deposit of the course and a €150 administration charge (including visa support).
- If a visa is required, course fees must be received at least two weeks before any appointment at the consulate to allow sufficient time to prepare and send documents.
- The place on any course and fees paid cannot be transferred to another person.
- Postponements of extension courses are possible giving no less than 1 week notice. No penalty will be applied in these cases. If the extension course is postponed it must be completed within one year of its postponement. If the centre cancels the extension course, you will receive a full refund. If a trainee cancels the extension course, no refund will be given.
- The centre cannot be held responsible for loss or theft of personal belongings.
- We reserve the right to cancel a course up to 2 weeks before the start date. In this case your full fees will be refunded (including deposit).
- A fee of €100 is applicable to any referred projects (if a project fails and needs to be remarked).