CELTA Courses Sofia
CELTA Course Dates & Fees Sofia
£1359 (£1314 early bird price)
- CELTA course (with all fees included)
- Self-catering accommodation in a shared apartment included for the duration of the course (Household bills not included)
- Airport pick-up for trainees coming from abroad
Please note that we are able to arrange transfers/check-ins Monday to Friday, 8.00 am till 7.00 pm. An additional fee of 20 GBP applies for pick-ups/check-ins on Saturday & Sunday (8.00 am till 7.00 pm).
Practical English Usage
Michael Swan - Read an Interview with the Author
As I was preparing to take the TEFL course to teach abroad and inquiring about the different books that the school was suggesting, I was told simply by my son who is also a teacher and the statement was confirmed by both my instructors, "just buy Swan, it's the bible and it's all you need". Practical English Usage is just that. For whatever reason Michael Swan decided to write this book, we are forever grateful. - Margaret M. Frye 5/5
BUY THIS BOOK New or used from amazon.co.uk
Jim Scrivener - Read an Interview with the Author
"Learning Teaching" has been one of the most successful guides to English since it was first published in 1994. Its no-nonsense approach has made it a superb teaching textbook for initial training courses, and also an essential handbook for practising ELT teachers. The third edition has been extensively revised and restructured to take recent developments in ELT into account and now includes a DVD featuring a full lesson being taught as well as demonstrations of practical teaching techniques.
BUY THIS BOOK New or used from amazon.co.uk
A Concise Grammar for English Teachers
Tony Penston - Read an Interview with the Author
I used Tony Penston's book when I was learning how to teach English as a Foreign Language. I found it really useful then and I still carry it with me for all teaching assignments - and I regularly refer to it for some grammatical point or other. It's easy to find what you want and nice and concise! It gets straight to the point. Apparently he's even got a sense of humour too, rarely seen in a grammarian, and a relief to this user. This really good book is useful for all teaching levels. Great value too. I do not hesitate to recommend it to all English language teachers. - John Osman 5/5
BUY THIS BOOK New or used from amazon.co.uk
CELTA Course Sofia Introduction
CELTA is the Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults is an initial qualification in teaching English as a foreign language and is at the forefront of qualifications for TEFL, TESOL or ESOL careers. It is the best known and most widely taken initial English Language Teaching (ELT) qualification of its kind in the world taken by over 10,000 people each year. With the CELTA qualification, a wide range of exciting ELT career options will open up to you, not least the prospect of working in your favourite locations around the world. CELTA is accepted throughout the world by organisations which employ English language teachers. It is also recognised by the British Council and the British Institute of English Language Teaching.
Sofia - Who is the CELTA Course For?
CELTA is suitable for those with little or no teaching experience. It is suitable for anyone who wishes to teach English as a foreign language to adults or work in ELT within Bulgaria or overseas.
Candidates come from all walks of life. Many are recent university graduates, but others are already qualified as teachers of other subjects or are professionals looking for a change of career or rewarding career break. Most candidates see CELTA as the starting point of a long-term career in English language teaching. For students working on their gap year, CELTA is a passport to teaching overseas and an ideal way to travel the world whilst developing new skills.
Sofia - CELTA Course Entry Criteria
All applicants for the CELTA course in Sofia must have:
- The recommended minimum age is 18
- There is no maximum age, mature candidates are more than welcome
- A good standard of education (at least equivalent to that required for higher education)
- A formal qualification at National Qualifications Framework Level 3 (for example A-levels, High School Certificate, BTEC National Diploma) or equivalent
- Native or non-native speakers with a good understanding of English that will enable a range of levels to be taught
- When non native, level of English equivalent to C1 or C2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- No previous teaching experience required
CELTA Course Structure & Content
The Sofia CELTA course is designed for people with little or no previous teaching experience. During the course, you will develop familiarity with the principles of effective teaching and a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners. The course includes teaching practice with real foreign students, observation of experienced teachers in the classroom and completion of a range of practically focused written assignments.
The TEFL course comprises the following areas:
- Teaching practice (TP)
- Teaching practice (TP) and feedback with peers and a tutor. Through the lessons that you prepare and deliver, you will discover the principles of effective teaching.
- Input sessions with our team of teacher trainers. You will explore the most up-to-date trends in ELT and discover how these can be applied to your classroom teaching.
- Observation of classes
- Observation of classes given by experienced teachers. These will enable you to see some of the ideas you are encountering put into practice and expose you to other classroom techniques you might find useful.
- Practically focused assignments
- Four practically focussed assignments which encourage you to analyse teaching techniques, language areas, educational materials and learning styles.
Find a TEFL Job Post CELTA
As a StudyCELTA trainee, you will be able to sign up for free to our TEFL jobs website www.teflwork.com. TEFLwork is a platform only for qualified English teachers and will allow you to find work both at home and abroad with your newly gained CELTA certificate.
CELTA Sofia: Course Requirements & Assessment
- Full attendance on the CELTA course
- Six hours of supervised and assessed teaching practice at three different levels
- Six hours of classroom observation of experienced teachers, two of which may be on video
On-going maintenance of a portfolio to be submitted to the external assessor for moderation during the course and to course tutors at the end of the course for final assessment purposes. Full attendance and punctuality are very important. If you will be unavoidably absent or late at any time, please inform your Academic Administrator in advance. However, under no circumstances can a candidate missing any of the six hours of assessed teaching practice or with incomplete written assignments pass the course.
You are assessed continuously during the CELTA course and there is no final examination. An external assessor, who is appointed by University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate (UCLES) moderates each course. We will help you prepare thoroughly for each assessment. It should be noted that the assessment will not be based on your performance on any one occasion, but will be related to your development on the CELTA course and will include consideration of your ability to respond to feedback and identify appropriate goals to make your teaching more effective. The external assessor will come to the college for one or two days during your course. The assessor may observe input sessions, read samples of written work and observe sample TP and feedback sessions in order to standardise grading and ensure fairness.
Assessment Components of the CELTA course
You will be assessed in two areas:
- Teaching Practice
- Written Assignments
Assessment of Teaching Practice
Teaching practice is graded by continuous assessment but this does not mean you’ll be expected to deliver perfect lessons each time. At the beginning of the course you will be assessed against criteria relevant to what can be expected at that stage of your development. Later, your teaching practice tutor will be focusing on the following main areas:
- Your development over the course
- The consistency of your achievement in relation to all the assessment criteria
- Your ability to manage the whole learning process
- The range of lesson types in which you have demonstrated competence
- Your ability to cope with learners at different levels
- The amount of support given by the trainer
All lessons will be assessed as either satisfactory or unsatisfactory for that stage of the course. Please bear in mind that many trainees receive an unsatisfactory lesson occasionally. If there is any possibility you may not pass the course, you will be made aware of this by the Academic Administrator, so unless this has been the case an unsatisfactory lesson should be seen as something to learn from, but not a major cause for concern.
Teaching Materials for the CELTA teaching practice
Your teaching practice group of five or six trainees will be given a copy of the course book that the class is using, as well as the accompanying teacher’s book and course audio. Each day’s teaching point will normally be based on the course book. An important part of your teaching practice is assessing the material in the course book and deciding when and how to adapt/replace it. As a result of this you will be encouraged to find other teaching material and to create your own original activities. In the earlier teaching practice sessions your teaching practice tutor will give you plenty of guidance about what materials to use and how to exploit them in class. However, when you go on to teach your final lessons, you will be expected to have developed sufficient expertise to be able to decide what to teach yourself. Overall, you will be expected to teach a wide variety of different types of lessons during your teaching practice.
Assessment of Written Assignments
This component consists of three written assignments. Deadlines for these assignments can be found in your timetable. Any assignment which is not handed in on time may not be marked. If you are having difficulty with an assignment or need to discuss an extension, see the Academic Administrator as soon as possible. Assignments are internally assessed by a minimum of two tutors on the criteria above, and externally moderated by the Assessor. Assignments which do not reach the required standard may be re-submitted once only. You are required to confirm in writing that all the assignments are your own work – this does not mean that you cannot discuss assignments or help each other prepare, but any collaboration which results in the submission of substantially similar assignments is not acceptable. Cambridge ESOL takes plagiarism very seriously and if this is suspected, may withhold the CELTA certificate.
This is based on your overall performance and commitment during the course. We will provide you with regular feedback on your development throughout your training. To be successful, you must pass all components. There are three grades - Pass, Pass 'B' and Pass 'A'. Successful candidates receive a Certificate awarded by the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate.
How to Apply for the CELTA in Sofia, Bulgaria
If you believe you meet the requirements to do the CELTA Course, fill in our online application. After completing your application and any necessary pre-interview tasks you will be invited to an interview which can be conducted in person, by telephone or via Skype.
Please note: Your place is not confirmed on a course until you have been accepted and have paid a non-refundable deposit.
Unsure if you are Eligible to Apply for CELTA?
If you are unsure if you meet the requirements to apply for a CELTA course then you can take our CELTA Eligibility Test.
How to Pay
- Applicants who successfully complete the interview stage of the application process will be offered a place on our CELTA course.
- Once a place has been offered, it can only be confirmed when a non-refundable deposit of 300 GBP has been paid within 3 days of the offer.
- The deposit is not an additional fee and is deducted from the total costs.
- The balance of the full CELTA course fee must be paid up to 2 weeks before the start of the course.
- We accept payments in cash, by bank transfer, debit cards or cheque.
- If the candidate is paying via bank transfer an amount of 20 GBP should be transferred to cover the candidate’s bank charges.
Conditions of Enrolment
- Please note that enrolment on our courses is subject to the following:Notice of cancellation must be made in writing.
- If written notice of withdrawal is given 4 weeks or more prior to the start of the course, we will retain only the non-refundable deposit.
- If written notice of withdrawal is given between 2 to 4 weeks prior to the start of the course, 50% of the fees will be returned to the applicant.
- If written notice of withdrawal is given less than 2 weeks prior to the start of the course, no refund of fees is made.
- All refunds will be made in the currency you have paid. Any bank or other charges payable will be deducted from the money refunded to you.