CELTA Courses in Honolulu, Hawaii
CELTA Course Dates & Fees Honolulu, Hawaii
|Full Time CELTA Courses in Honolulu|
|June 13 - July 8 2016|
|July 18 - August 12 2016|
|September 12 - October 7 2016|
|October 11 - November 4 2016|
(All fees included.)
|Apply CELTA Honolulu|
All courses and prices are subject to change without notice. Prices are in U.S. Dollars. CELTA tuition costs are tax deductible.
4 weeks including practicum: Monday to Friday
Input Sessions: 10am - 12pm & 1pm - 2:15pm. Professional Observation: 3pm - 6pm
Public Holidays 2016: July 4, November 24, December 26
Course Texts to buy, beg or borrow:
- Learning Teaching, Jim Scrivener (Heinemann)
- A Concise Grammar for English Language Teachers, Tony Penston (TP Publications)
- Practical English Usage, Michael Swan (Oxford University Press)
CELTA Course Introduction
The CELTA is the most widely recognized TESL/TEFL certificate in the world. The CELTA is highly regarded around the world because of its high standards and rigorous assessments. It is one of the few certificate in teaching programs that involves practice teaching.
The CELTA program is an excellent choice for those who are looking to teach in Europe or the Middle East, although this certification can be used worldwide. Our CELTA program meets the TESL Canada and USA requirements, allowing you to teach English at home.
CELTA caters for a wide range of people and experiences. Maybe you've been teaching for a few years and would like to get a qualification. Recent university graduates, people wanting to change job and try something else, travelers abroad wanting to combine getting a teaching qualification with living in a foreign country. These are all people who enroll on CELTA courses.
In Miami, our CELTA is offered on a full time basis to make your transition from one career to the next quick and easy.
During the program, teacher-trainees are observed by their CELTA tutors, who grade their Teaching Practice lessons. Assessors from Cambridge inspect the course each time in order to assure that quality is maintained in every CELTA program that is taught.
If English isn't your first language this doesn't pose a problem as long as you can demonstrate that you "have an awareness of the language and a competence in both written and spoken English which will enable you to undertake the course and prepare for teaching a range of levels" (Cambridge guidelines).
CELTA course aims and FAQ
- How to be sensitive to your adult students and their needs
- How to be sensitive to the different ways in which students learn and how to teach each learner
- How to manage your students and classroom
- Basics of grammar, lexis and phonology and how to teach it
- How to teach reading, listening, speaking and writing
- How to evaluate your own lessons before and after the class
- How to adapt and evaluate teaching materials
- Effective lesson planning
- A professional classroom presence
Why take CELTA if I already have an masters degree or a teaching degree?
Having the CELTA in addition to an MA gives you an advantage over candidates who have a masters. While there are a variety of masters programs (both TESOL and non-TESOL masters, say English literature, etc), because CELTA training is standardized and monitored by Cambridge worldwide and known internationally, employers will know exactly what standard of teaching to expect from a job candidate holding a CELTA.
I have no previous teaching experience.
Teaching experience is not a requirement of the program.
I don't know if I'm suited to being a good teacher.
If your idea of teaching involves a lot of lecturing in front of a class -you have the wrong idea of what communicative language teaching is.
Language teaching is different from most types of teaching. While there is a small bit of explaining that comes from the teacher at the front of the class, much of language teaching involves small groups, pair work, and other activities in which the teacher is not the center of proceedings, but a facilitator who encourages others to communicate.
Language teaching suits a variety of personality types and extroverts and introverts equally excel at and love teaching English.
I already have teaching experience, so do I really need the CELTA?
Regarding previous teaching experience or teaching qualifications, it depends on what and how you've been teaching and the content of your qualification. Did it include communicative style teaching in the classroom? As that is what employers are looking for. Everyone can learn from the CELTA, it holds up a mirror to how you actually teach. Linguistic theory and teaching theory are all well and good, but teaching practice with feedback from Cambridge certified tutors is worth it's weight in gold. Experienced teachers find themselves fine tuning their teaching during the course, being made to see and reflect on habits and practices, good and bad, that they never knew they had before.
Having this certificate also enhances your job prospects, regardless of the amount of teaching experience you already have.
Employment as an English Teacher after the Course
Currently, there are lots of jobs available abroad for English teaching, and it seems the demand for English teachers will only increase, not decrease, in the coming years. Nevertheless, as demand for teachers has risen, so has the number of people wanting to teach, so despite the large number of jobs abroad, competition for these jobs is fierce. Any advantage you can gain over other prospective teachers should help you gain a job, or a better job.
During the CELTA course, graduates are guided toward the right job. The teacher trainers are qualified and experienced, and know just how broad the ESL and EFL industry is, so are able to provide one to one employment assistance any time after graduation.
The Training Center will provide CELTA trainees up to 8 hours of Job Search Topics, such as:
- resume and cover letter assistance
- interview preparation
- job contacts
- potential recruiter visits
Can I teach in public schools in the US with the CELTA?
The CELTA does not count towards becoming certified to teach in public schools in the US. The CELTA should, however, count towards professional development credit for current public school teachers.
CELTA Course Entry Criteria
To be accepted for the CELTA course in Hawaii, applicants must fulfill the following criteria:
- No previous teaching experience or training is required, but candidates must: Be 20 years old by the commencement date of the course. (Candidates can be accepted over 18 at the center's discretion.)
- Candidates should normally have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education, meaning having completed High School at least. However, applicants who do not have formal qualifications may be accepted if the screening tasks suggest that they are likely to complete the course successfully).
- Older candidates who finished studies and schooling some years ago are encouraged to apply as the screening tasks will show their competence and ability to complete the course successfully or not.
- Have an awareness of language and a competence in both written and spoken English which will enable them to undertake the course and prepare for teaching a range of levels
- Please note : Fulfilling entry requirements does not automatically guarantee a place on the CELTA course. Selection of candidates is based on an application task and a pre-course interview. If applicants have been successful, they will receive an offer of a place in the mail.
Do you have to know a lot about grammar?
Knowing grammar is definitely beneficial for being an English teacher, but it is not necessary to know everything about grammar to take the CELTA. Key concepts like subject, verb, and verb tense are good to know so:
- Pre-course material will be sent to you on being accepted to start orientating you toward what you need to know
- You will go over some key grammatical concepts during the course and also be exposed to resources for future teaching.
CELTA Course Structure & Content - Honolulu
The CELTA course is an introduction to the teaching of English as a foreign language and aims to lay a firm foundation on which a teacher can build as s/he gains experience. A CELTA course involves a minimum of 120 contact hours with tutors.
These are broken down into:
- Practical seminars on methodology and language awareness.
- Supervised teaching practice
- Lesson preparation and planning
- Feedback on teaching practice
- Observation of experienced teacher
On your course there will most likely be ten to twelve people. For CELTA courses there are always two tutors and no more than six students per tutor.
The syllabus consists of five units of learning that deal with specific topic areas in the teaching of ESOL:
- Unit 1: Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Unit 2: Language analysis and awareness
- Unit 3: Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Unit 4: Planning and resources for different teaching contexts
- Unit 5: Developing teaching skills and professionalism
Units 1, 4 and 5 focus on the preparation and delivery of ESOL teaching programs. Units 2 and 3 focus on the content of ESOL teaching programs as well as the pedagogic knowledge required for teaching language and language skills.
The CELTA full-time course is held during the working day from Monday to Friday Total input = 120 hours
The day will typically include:
- Input sessions
- Lesson Planning
- Assessed Teaching Practice
- Teaching Practice feedback
CELTA Course Assessment – Hawaii
- One of the reasons CELTA is popular is precisely because there is no final exam. Evaluation is strictly practical and is based on your ability to plan and give lessons.
- You will also have to write four assignments which are marked. Outside Cambridge assessors are involved in your final evaluation and grade. You must obviously complete the course, and if you do not meet the minimal threshold you can also fail; but the CELTA Trainers will do their best to help you succeed throughout and advise you of your progress.
There are two components:
Component 1: Planning and teaching
In this component, candidates are required to practice teach for a total of six assessed hours, working with adult learners at a minimum of two levels in classes of the required size. By the end of the six hours of assessed teaching practice, candidates should have demonstrated successful achievement of all the teaching practice assessment criteria.
Component 2: Classroom-related written assignments (of which there are four assignments in total).
This component consists of four written assignments:
- Adult learners and learning contexts
- Aspect of the language system of English
- Aspect of language skills
- Reflection on classroom teaching and the identification of action points
The assignments are internally assessed and externally moderated.
To meet the assessment requirements, candidates are required to attend a course and to:
- Practice teach classes of the relevant age group and size for a total of six hours
- Observe experienced teachers teaching classes of adult learners for a total of six hours, two of which may or may not be on video
- Maintain and submit a portfolio of all course work including all written assignments and materials related to teaching practice.
Mode of assessment
Assessment is continuous and integrated:
- Assessment takes place throughout the course.
- Component 1 and 2 contribute to the overall grade.
CELTA Certificate grades
The Certificate will be awarded to candidates who meet the course requirements and whose performance meets, or exceeds, the criteria in both assessment components. Candidates are ineligible for the award in cases where dishonesty or plagiarism is brought to the attention of Cambridge ESOL Teaching Awards.
CELTA is internally assessed and externally moderated by a Cambridge ESOL approved assessor who samples portfolios and teaching practice and who discusses and agrees the grades for all candidates.
This grade is awarded to candidates whose performance overall in the teaching practice and in the written assignments meets the specified criteria.
They will continue to need guidance to help them to develop and broaden their range of skills as teachers in post.
Pass (Grade B)
This grade is awarded to candidates whose performance in the written assignments meets the specified criteria and who have demonstrated in their teaching practice a level of achievement significantly higher than that required to meet pass-level criteria in relation to: Demonstration of the criteria for teaching skills and professionalism.
They will continue to need some guidance to help them to develop and broaden their range of skills as teachers in post.
A Pass (Grade A)
This grade is awarded to candidates whose performance in the written assignments meets the specified criteria and who have demonstrated in their teaching practice a level of ability and achievement and a level of awareness significantly higher than that required to meet pass-level criteria in relation to:
- Planning for effective teaching
- Teaching skills and professionalism
They will benefit from further guidance in post but will be able to work independently.
Can I Fail the CELTA?
You must complete the course. Candidates who fail to meet criteria in any or all assessed components will receive a Fail.
Being accepted on the course is a clear indication that you have what it takes to pass and tutors will advise you of your progress throughout. However, the work must be done by you to pass. That canditdates can fail ensures the quality and standard of CELTA as a certificate therefore giving it more strength as a qualification from an employer's perspective.
Beware: CELTA Intensives are INTENSIVE:
"I kept telling myself "it's only for a month" as night after night I missed my regular yoga classes because of the study required. One of our tutors shared a comment that CELTA was "the cheapest personal development course around” an accurate description I have to agree with...I liked the intensity of the course, it ensured a person like me who multitasks and juggles life had no choice but to focus and stay focused. The rest of the world managed without my input."
- -Matewiki Karehana, New Zealand
How to Apply – CELTA Honolulu, Hawaii
- If you believe you meet the requirements to do the CELTA Course, contact us for an application package
- $120 Non-refundable Registration Fee to cover Written Task evaluation, and an oral interview with the Cambridge Coordinator.
- Acceptance onto the University of Cambridge CELTA course is not automatic or guaranteed. Applicants must satisfactorily complete the tasks and pass a subsequent interview to be accepted. Non-native speakers of English must be able to demonstrate that their level of English, both spoken and written, is suitable for the demands of the course. The decision of the centre is final.
- Applicants who have satisfactorily completed the pre-interview task will be invited to attend an interview shortly after this date at the School or on the telephone if the candidate is not based within Honolulu or Hawaii Island. Skype can also be an alternative option to avoid long distance phone call costs.
- If an applicant is successful in completing the pre-interview tasks, the applicant will be sent a letter of acceptance onto the course in writing.
- If the applicant requests accommodation, a $170 Non-refundable Accommodation Placement Fee in addition to rent is required.
- Tuition is due IN FULL four weeks prior to the start of the course.
- If a student cancels prior to starting the course, the registration fee and any accommodation placement fee will not be refunded.
- If, after having started any part of the course, a student decides for any reason that s/he cannot or does not wish to continue, there will be no refund of the course fees.
- No liability is accepted by the school for the loss or damage of property.
How to Pay
Payments (deposit & balance) can be made to the Center via:
- Credit Card
- Personal Checks
- Wire Transfers
- Please note that you will be responsible for any bank charges (This includes international students who have already paid bank charges in their own country). So please, when paying make sure that the payment to the School is "free of charges" since the School has to receive the whole net amount in USD.
Conditions of Enrolment
Cancellation / Refund:
- A minimum of six applicants is required in order to run each course. In the event the course is canceled, all money paid except the Registration and Accommodation Placement fee will be refunded or deferred to a future course.
- For cancellations prior to 30 before the first day of class, the Training Center in Honolulu will refund all tuition less registration and accommodation placement fee.
- For cancellations 29-15 days prior to the first day of class, Training Center in Honolulu will refund 50% tuition less registration and accommodation placement fee.
- For cancellations 14-8 days prior to the first day of class, Training Center in Honolulu will refund 15% tuition less registration and accommodation placement fee.
- For cancellations 7-1 day(s) prior to the first day of class, no refund will be granted.
- All cancellations must be received in writing.
Selection Criteria, Assessment and Grades
- The CELTA Center in Honolulu is a Pass/Fail course, and if the candidate receives a 'Fail' grade, the result cannot be changed, and that the course fee will not be refunded.
- The CELTA Center in Honolulu requires 100% class attendance, in addition to work outside of scheduled contact hours. As a result, absences, tardiness, incomplete or late assignments may compromise grades on the course.
- Information disclosed in the application must be complete and accurate, including any circumstances that may affect performance on the course.