Sydney - CELTA Courses
|January 12 - February 6|
|March 2 - March 27|
|April 27 - May 22|
|June 1 - 26|
|July 13 - August 7|
|September 7 - October 2|
|November 2 - November 27|
(Plus £125 Cambridge Assessment Fee)
|January 12 - April 2|
|April 13 - July 4|
|July 6 - September 26|
|September 28 - December 19|
(Plus £125 Cambridge Assessment Fee)
2015 CELTA + Cert IV in TESOL via RPL
After completing the CELTA, pay $500 extra and, by doing extra hours and assignments (approximately 80 hours extra homework/assignments that can be completed throughout a period of up to 4 weeks) and gain the Cert. IV TESOL also.
Holidays: 1 January, 26 January, 3 April, 6 April, 8 June, 5 October, 21 - 28 December
Recommended Course Texts to buy, beg or borrow:
- Learning Teaching, Jim Scrivener (Heinemann)
- A Concise Grammar for English Language Teachers, Tony Penston (TP Publications)
- Practical English Usage, Michael Swan (Oxford University Press)
CELTA Course Information & Entry Requirements, Sydney
Internationally Recognized Cambridge CELTA Course - (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults)
The most widely recognized qualifications for English language teaching are those offered by the University of Cambridge. Cambridge Certificate (CELTA) and Diploma (DELTA) courses will qualify and prepare you to teach overseas and in Australia.
Today's workplace is in a constant state of change. We change jobs and choose to re-train throughout our working life.
Take the opportunity to go somewhere different, do something new.
Sydney is a destination we recommend, both for the high quality standards of the CELTA course offered there and the fantastic city itself
The Cambridge CELTA course (formerly known as the RSA/Cambridge CTEFLA) leads to an internationally recognized qualification and is intended for people without previous teaching experience who wish to enter the profession of English language teaching to adults. It is also appropriate for those with some EFL experience, but no formal qualification or training, as well as for teachers from other fields who are interested in developing a career in English language teaching.
During the course, participants develop familiarity with the principles of effective teaching and acquire a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners.
No previous teaching experience or training is required, but candidates must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have an awareness of language and a competence in both written and spoken English which will enable them to undertake the course and prepare for teaching a range of levels (i.e. native or near native English speaker)
- Have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become effective teachers and to successfully complete the written assignments and the assessment of practice teaching
- Candidates should normally have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education, meaning having completed high School at least. However, applicants who do not have formal qualifications may be accepted if the screening tasks suggest that they are likely to complete the course successfully)
CELTA Course Content and Structure
The course consists of::
- a minimum of 106 contact hours between participants and course tutors (This includes lectures, tutorial support, lesson planning,
- a minimum of 6 hours teaching practice supervised by a course tutor, feedback on teaching practice and peer observation)
- a minimum of 8 hours directed observation of lessons taught by experienced teachers
- In addition to the scheduled timetable, the course also requires a minimum of a further 50 hours for required reading, research and preparation of lessons and assignments.
- Course hours are usually 9am to 5.00pm (although this may vary).
CELTA Course Objectives
The course is highly practical in approach and is designed to enable participants to:
- Develop an awareness of language and a knowledge of the description of English and apply these in their professional practice
- Develop an initial understanding of the contexts within which adults learn English, their motivations and the roles of the teacher and the learner
- Develop familiarity with the principles and practice of effective teaching to adult learners of English
- Develop basic skills for teaching adults in the language classroom
- Develop familiarity with appropriate resources and materials for use with adult learners of English for teaching, testing and for reference
- Identify opportunities for their own future development as professionals in the field
CELTA Course Syllabus
The course content covers:
- Language awareness
- The learner, the teacher and the teaching/learning context
- Planning for effective teaching of adult learners of English
- Classroom management and teaching skills for adult learners
- Resources and materials for teaching English to adults
- Professional development for teachers of English to Adults
CELTA Course Assessment in Sydney
Course assessment, which is continuous and integrated, is based on classroom teaching practice and on written assignments. The certificate is awarded to candidates who satisfy all assessment criteria and complete all course requirements.
An external assessor, who is appointed by Cambridge University, visits each course in order to observe practice teaching and to inspect candidates' portfolios of written work. Their role is to standardize grading, recommend final grades and monitor the courses. The University of Cambridge awards final grades and issues Certificates to successful candidates.
The full-time course is very intensive and requires total commitment. In addition to course hours you should allow between three to four hours each evening for lesson preparation and writing assignments and one weekend day would also be required.
It is highly unlikely that you will be able to fulfill the course requirements if you have any other obligations over this period such as a part-time job or a commitment to another course. You should also be in good health and be able to manage the stress arising from an intensive course of this nature.
CELTA Study Pathways
The Teacher Training Center has established links with leading universities to ensure that teachers can continue to develop professionally through further study. Teachers who complete the CELTA in Sydney have advanced standing (credit points) awarded on a basis of:
University of Wollongong
1 out of 8 subjects in the Graduate Diploma in TESOL (can be taken by distance)
1 out of 4 subjects in the Graduate Certificate in TESOL (can be taken by distance)
1 out of 10 subjects of the MA Applied Linguistics (can be taken by distance)
University of New South Wales
1 out of 6 subjects of the MA Applied Linguistics
University of Canberra
1 out of 3 subjects of the Graduate Certificate or 1 out of 6 subjects for the Graduate Diploma in TESOL.
CELTA Couse Duration in Sydney
Options in Sydney:
- 4 weeks full-time intensive study: 9am - 5pm + evening preparation
- 12 weeks part-time study:
- Sydney: Monday and Wednesday (5.45 pm - 9.00pm) + alternate Saturdays (9.00am - 4.30pm)
Sessions are held between 9.30am and 5.00pm including teaching practice. Note that the course is full-time: it is not possible to combine the course with regular teaching. Observation of experienced teachers (8 hours in total) takes place after course hours, as does individual lesson preparation.
Due to its intensive nature, the course requires a high level of commitment. To help ensure success, candidates should be free of any other work or study commitments for its duration
The CELTA & Certificate IV in TESOL
In some cases it is a good idea to have both of these qualifications. Our training centre in Sydney offers the opportunity to gain both the CELTA and Certificate IV in TESOL. Both are pre-service qualifications in TESOL and both meet the TESOL requirements of NEAS (www.neas.org.au) Australia for working in accredited language schools in the overseas student sector.
- The CELTA qualification is awarded by University of Cambridge ESOL.
- CELTA is recognized in Australia and throughout the world. Some employers (e.g. overseas, many private colleges in Australia catering to overseas students) prefer their teachers to have the CELTA.
- If you're planning to work overseas or in a normal English language college for overseas students in Australia, just do CELTA. There is no need for the extra work and stress of doing two identical qualifications.
The 40649SACert IV in TESOL:
- The 40649SACert IV in TESOL is recognized primarily in Australia.
- The Cert IV in TESOL is awarded under the Australian Qualifications Framework by a registered training organization.
- The 40649SA Cert IV in TESOL is designed to provide knowledge and skills for working within the competency based Australian VET sector. Australian based vocational training colleges, schools for adult literacy, aboriginal English language projects, NGO organizational training for Australia and overseas prefer 40649SA Cert IV in TESOL.
How to gain the Cert IV TESOL after doing the CELTA:
In your third week of the CELTA course you will be offered the opportunity to gain the Cert IV in TESOL via RPL. You can indicate in your application that you are interested in this option, but only on completing the CELTA course can you take that option up.
- Pay $500 extra for administration of RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning)
- Do extra hours and assignments.
CELTA Enrollment Procedure
- If you believe you cover the minimum requirements to be considered as a candidate for the CELTA course ask for the application package that includes the enrolment form and the pre-interview task.
- Prospective trainees must complete the pre-Interview task, fill in the enrolment form and return them to the CELTA Programmes Coordinator via email. It's advisable to do this well in advance.
- Within 5 to 10 days after receiving your application, pre-interview task and CV, someone from the CELTA Department will contact you, at their own discretion, in order to arrange a day and a time to have an interview.
- During the interview, which can take up to 2 hours, the interviewer will assess your awareness of language structure and function as well as general sensitivity to adult language learning issues. Enrolment on the course is subject to successful completion of the interview. For those living outside the Brisbane area, this will be conducted on the telephone or via Skype.
- After your interview they will decide if they offer you a vacancy on the course or not; if they do it, you will have one week from the offer of place to pay a deposit in order to secure your place on the course.
- 6 weeks prior the course commencement the balance will need to be paid.
Employment with CELTA
There are many job opportunities in Australia and overseas for CELTA and Cert IV in TESOL participants. The courses include a job workshop which gives practical advice on how to go about finding employment all around the world, and there is open access to the training center job notice-board with details of many positions offered in a range of countries.
The Training Center is part of a large English language College with campuses in Sydney, Perth, Cairns and Brisbane and teachers who successfully complete the courses and have the right to work in Australia often find employment within the organisation or within other recognised and accredited Australian colleges that recruit directly from these courses.
How to Pay
Payments (deposit & balance) can be made directly to the School via Bank Transfer, Bank Cheque, Cash, VISA or MASTERCARD. Personal cheques will not be accepted.