|Full Time Course: 4 weeks onsite in Adelaide Required|
|January 5 - 30 (closing date December 5)|
|April 13 - May 8|
|July 6 - 31|
|November 16 - December 11|
|Course Fee: $3,100 AUS (Includes Cambridge Assessment Fee: $200 AUS)
Student Concession - 10% concession on CELTA course fee for full-time university students
Holidays 2015: 26 January, 9 March, 3 April, 6-7 April, 8 June, 5 October
- Learning Teaching, Jim Scrivener (Heinemann)
- A Concise Grammar for English Language Teachers, Tony Penston (TP Publications)
- Practical English Usage, Michael Swan (Oxford University Press)
The Adelaide Teacher Training Center has conducted University of Cambridge CELTA courses since 1992 .
The Cambridge CELTA [Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is an international TEFL / TESL / TEFOL / TESOL / ELT training certificate course. Over 9,000 people a year participate in CELTA courses in approved centres in countries all over the world. All the successful participants receive a Certificate for Teaching English from Cambridge University .
The CELTA Certificate is administered through the University of Cambridge Local Examination Syndicate and is moderated by assessors inducted by Cambridge University ensuring high standards worldwide.
CELTA Course - Main Features
- Every centre must undergo an annual inspection to be registered to run courses.
- An outside assessor inducted and approved by Cambridge assesses every course run by a centre.
- Courses provide expert instruction in methodology and language analysis by Cambridge approved trainers.
- A minimum of 120 contact hours and an additional 80 hours for home study.
- A minimum of 2 trainers per course and a maximum of 1 trainer per 6 candidates.
- Candidates are involved in sixty hours of practice teaching which includes planning, implementation, observation of peers and experienced teachers, reflection on their teaching practice and feedback from trainers.
- Six hours of individual observed and assessed practice teaching, conducted in classes with non-native speaking students, is included in every course.
- A minimum of 6 hours observing experienced classroom teachers.
- Training is provided based on the best of current teaching practice and constantly updated. The approach can be adapted to cater to the needs of students in a variety of contexts and can also be adapted for children and teenagers.
- Only people who meet the performance criteria are issued a certificate.
CELTA Course Syllabus overview
- Learners and teachers and the teaching and learning context
- Language and analysis and awareness
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Planning and resources for different teaching contexts
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism
Recognition & Regard
Due to the rigorous annual approval process and constant moderation of courses the CELTA is highly regarded worldwide; Cambridge University being well known throughout the world is often requested by employers nationally and internationally.
The CELTA is recognised by:
- TEFL / TESL / TEFOL / TESOL / ELT (English language teaching) employers around the world
- English Language Colleges in Australia ,
- many ministries of education
- government bodies such as the British Council
- TESOL, IATEFL, EA and other major professional organisations.
It is also well regarded by organisations such as JET, and Volunteers Abroad.
Australian University Recognition & Credit
The CELTA offered in Adelaide is also given credit points for courses at a number of Australian universities.
|South Australia||Tasmania||Australian Capital Territory|
|Flinders University||University of Tasmania||University of Canberra|
|University of Adelaide|
|New South Wales||Western Australia||Victoria|
|University of New South Wales||Curtin University of Technology||La Trobe University|
|University of Wollongong|
|University of Technology Sydney|
No previous teaching experience or training is required, but candidates must:
- Be 20 years old by the commencement date of the course. (Candidates can be accepted over 18 at the centre's discretion.)
- Candidates should normally have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education, meaning having completed high School at least. However, applicants who do not have formal qualifications may be accepted if the screening tasks suggest that they are likely to complete the course successfully)
- Have an awareness of language and a competence in both written and spoken English which will enable them to undertake the course and prepare for teaching a range of levels
Please note : Fulfilling entry requirements does not automatically guarantee a place on the CELTA course. Selection of candidates is based on an application task and a pre-course interview. If applicants have been successful, they will receive an offer of a place in the mail.
Full Time CELTA Course Adelaide (4 Weeks in Adelaide)
The Full Time CELTA course offered in Adelaide is a 4 weeks course that includes 120 hours minimum on campus contact (Monday to Friday, 9AM to 5.30PM) plus 100 hours minimum of home study.
- 9:00 – 11:00 Methodology
- 11:30 – 12:30 Language Analysis
- 1:30 – 3:00 Feedback and Lesson Preparation
- 3:30 – 5:30 Practice Teaching [learners from non-English speaking backgrounds at two levels
1. CELTA Certificate Award
The Certificate will be awarded to candidates who meet the course requirements, and whose performance meets, or exceeds, the criteria in both assessment components.
2. CELTA Course Requirements
To meet the course requirements candidates are required to attend the whole course and to:
- practice teaching in a class of the relevant age group, at two significantly different levels for a total of six hours;
- observe experienced teachers teaching classes for a total of six hours;
- maintain and submit a portfolio of all course work including all written assignments and materials related to teaching practice.
3. Mode of Assessment
The assessment will be continuous and integrated.
- Continuous here means that assessment takes place throughout each course.
- Integrated here means that both assessment components contribute to the overall grade;
4. The Two Components of Assessment
Planning and teaching. Candidates are required to practice teach for a total of six observed and assessed hours, working with adult learners at a minimum of two levels in classes of the required size. By the end of the course they should have demonstrated successful achievement of the teaching practice assessment criteria.
Classroom-related written assignments.
This component consists of four written assignments. Each is between 750 to 1,000 words and should not exceed 3,000 words. They are internally assessed and externally moderated. The assignments focus on the following:
- Adult learners and learning contexts
- An aspect of the language system of English
- An aspect of language skills
- Reflection on classroom teaching and the identification of action points
- If you believe you cover the minimum requirements to be considered as a candidate for the CELTA course, ask for the application package that includes the enrolment form and the pre-interview task.
- Prospective trainees must complete the pre-Interview task, fill in the enrolment form and return them to the CELTA Programmes Coordinator, including an updated copy of their CV, at least 4-8 weeks prior the course starting date. These documents should be emailed to the Coordinator as attachments.
- Within 5 to 10 days after receiving your application, pre-interview task and CV, someone from the CELTA Department will contact you, at their own discretion, in order to arrange a day and a time to have an interview.
- During the interview, the interviewer will assess your awareness of language structure and function as well as general sensitivity to adult language learning issues. Enrolment on the course is subject to successful completion of the interview. All applicants are required to have an interview. For those living outside the Adelaide area, this will be conducted on the telephone and applicants are to meet the cost of this.
- After your interview they will decide if they offer you a vacancy on the course or not; if they do it, you will have one week from the moment they offer you the vacancy to pay a deposit that is a percentage of the total tuition cost in order to secure your vacancy on the course.
- 4 weeks prior the course commencement you will have to pay the balance or the place may be offered to another candidate.
Payments (deposit & balance) can be made directly to the School via Bank Transfer, Bank Cheque, Cash, VISA or MASTERCARD. Personal cheques will not be accepted.
- This tuition fee is not refundable unless the College agrees with the reasons for withdrawal and a substitute candidate can be found.
- A transfer fee of $200.00 must be paid if a trainee decides to transfer to another course within two weeks of a course starting unless another candidate takes their place.
- The Cambridge Assessment Fee of $200.00 must be paid on the first day of your course and is not refundable.
- The Center reserves the right to cancel a course if there is an insufficient number of candidates. In the event of cancellation of a course, all fees will be refunded.
- No refund is payable after you have commenced your course.
- CELTA Candidates are financially responsible for all material borrowed from the College. (e.g. books, videos, audio tapes, etc.) Class texts can be bought from reception if you wish to write in them. Candidates are responsible for providing their own stationery and teaching materials (e.g. blu-tak, folder, etc.)
- CELTA Candidates must confirm they are in a state of good health and provide details of any specific health or learning difficulties.
- CELTA Candidates must inform the tutors in writing before the beginning of the course for which they have enrolled of any pre-existing medical problems (including stress-related conditions) which may have an adverse effect on their performance during the course. The course is demanding and sometimes stressful. Candidates, who withdraw after the beginning of the course, giving stress-related conditions as a reason, will not be offered a refund of their course fees.