Teacher Training in Catania, Sicily
If you have substantial experience in teaching English to speakers of other languages, and are ready to progress in your career, you need the DELTA (Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults).
This internationally recognised qualification offered in Catania helps you to:
- Deepen your understanding of the principles and practice of teaching the English language to adults
- Examine your current practices and beliefs
- Apply the results of your learning and reflection to your current teaching position and more senior roles
DELTA key points:
- A Diploma level higher course for teachers
- The DELTA focuses on methodology, theory and practical teaching skills
- The DELTA is the benchmark TEFL teacher training qualification
- A vital qualification to secure senior posts in TEFL
- The Delta Modules can be taken in stages over a period of time that can fit with career and other commitments
- Opportunity to focus on specialist teaching, e.g. teaching young learners, business English
- More flexible delivery, e.g. blended learning options
- Individual modules can be taken as part of a programme of continuous professional development (CPD)
- DELTA is accepted throughout the world by organisations which employ English language teachers.
- DELTA is also integrated into some MA programmes.
- Ofqual, the regulator of exams in England and Northern Ireland, recognises Cambridge ESOL’s DELTA qualification as equal in level to a masters degree or professional diploma in the UK and throughout the EU.
- Experience: At least two years' full time teaching English to adults (approximately 1,200 hours) within the last 5 years, involving work in different contexts to a variety levels
- Education: Candidates are usually university graduates or qualified teachers and have a Cambridge ESOL CELTA or equivalent.
- English: Applicants must have a highly developed awareness of language and sufficient competence in English, both written and spoken, to enable them to follow the course and complete all assessed elements.
- The language learner and the language learning context.
- Preparation for teaching English language learners.
- Evaluating, selecting and using resources and materials for teaching purposes.
- Managing and supporting learning.
- Evaluation of lesson preparation and teaching.
- Observation / evaluation of other teachers’ lessons.
- Professionalism and opportunities for professional development.
The DELTA Module 2 Course in Catania contains the following elements
- Teaching practice
- Observation of experienced teachers in the classroom
There are six main units of learning:
- Understanding, knowledge and awareness of language
- The background to teaching and learning English at adult level
- Resources and materials
- Working in the classroom
- Evaluation, monitoring and assessment
- Professional development
As part of your course you should expect 120 contact hours with fellow candidates and course tutors and 10 hours of teaching adults. Four of these lessons are supervised and assessed by a course tutor and one is externally assessed.
In addition you have 10 hours’ directed observation of lessons, with five of these being live lessons taught by experienced teachers.
Coursework – There are seven coursework assignments. Six of these are internally assessed; the seventh is externally assessed. In addition there is overall external moderation of your coursework by Cambridge ESOL.
There are two grades — Pass and Distinction.
To be awarded the Diploma, you must pass all three components (Modules).
|Mon 5 Aug- 13 Sept (6 weeks) course cancelled. 2014 dates coming soon.|
|Total Cost: (Intensive combined modules course) €2000 (Cambridge assessment fee not included. Approx €157)|
Travel, coursebooks and the costs of social activities are not included in the fees.
- If you believe you cover the minimum entry requirements to be considered as a candidate for the DELTA course, fill out our short enquiry form asking for the application package.
- Prospective trainees must complete the DELTA application form and pre interview tasks and e-mail them back to us. A lesson plan will be provided for preparing your application.
- For Cambridge assessment purposes, it is also necessary to send a hard copy of the application form to them complete with passport photo.
- Acceptance onto the University of Cambridge DELTA course is not automatic or guaranteed. Applicants must satisfactorily complete ‘Language Awareness and Teaching Ideas’ tasks, a free writing task, and pass a subsequent interview to be accepted. Non-native speakers of English must be able to demonstrate that their level of English, both spoken and written, is suitable for the demands of the course. The decision of the centre is final.
- Applicants who have satisfactorily completed the pre-interview task will be invited to attend an interview shortly after this date at the School or on the telephone if the candidate is not based within Sicily. Skype can also be an alternative option to avoid long distance phone call costs.
- Successful applicants will receive an offer of a place on the DELTA course immediately, if there is a place available.
- After receiving a payment request from the School, a deposit must be paid in order to secure your place.
- Candidates who are accepted 8 weeks or more prior to the start of the course should ensure that all course fees and accommodation fees are transferred within fifteen working days, to secure their place. Candidates accepted within 8 weeks of the starting date should transfer fees within ten working days, and candidates accepted within 4 weeks of the course should transfer funds within 48 hours to avoid the place being re-allocated.
- The school reserves the right to refuse admission to any student or to dismiss any student in the event of misconduct or unsatisfactory attendance or timekeeping or work, without refund of fees.
- No liability is accepted by the school for the loss or damage of property. We strongly recommend students to take out insurance to cover their possessions as well as medical insurance for themselves (if extra European).
Payments (deposit & balance) can be made directly to the School via Bank Transfer.
Please note that you will be responsible for any bank charges, even if you have already paid bank charges in your own country. So please, when paying make sure that the payment to the School is "free of charges" since the School has to receive the whole net amount in EUROS.
- Candidates who are accepted 8 weeks or more prior to the start of the course should ensure that all course fees and accommodation fees are transferred within fifteen working days, to secure their place.
- Candidates accepted within 8 weeks of the starting date should transfer fees within ten working days.
- Candidates accepted within 4 weeks of the course should transfer funds within 48 hours to avoid the place being re-allocated.
- If applicants fail to pay their fees in full by the indicated deadline, their place will be offered to another qualifying applicant.
Cancellation / Refund:
- We reserve the right to cancel or alter a course or to change course timings. If we do so, we will offer an alternative course or a refund.
- Deposits cannot be transferred to another course, date or candidate.
- Please note that in the event of a candidate withdrawing from the course once it has started, the Training Centre cannot refund fees or offer a place on a subsequent course without the payment of further fees.
- An administration fee of €20 will apply for students wishing to change their course.
Cancellation Charges and Refund Policy
- In the case of cancellation six weeks or more before the course starting date, 20% of the total fee will be retained. With less than six weeks' notice, 50% of our total fee will be retained. If cancellation occurs in the final ten days before the starting date the total fee will be retained.
- However, in certain exceptional circumstances we will consider transferring the fees to another course.
- No transfer is made if notice is insufficient to allow for the finding of a substitute candidate. In the event of a course being cancelled all fees will be refunded.
- Once the course has started, there is no possible refund. For this reason, you might consider taking out an insurance policy in order to be covered in case anything happen and you needed to leave the course.
- In the event of ‘force majeure’ such as fire, flooding, infectious diseases and other events outside the school’s reasonable control which may cause the closure of the school, no refund of fees will be made to students, except at the school’s discretion in exceptional circumstances