Teacher Training in Brisbane, Australia
The nationally accredited Certificate IV TESOL course provides a qualification for teaching English in Australia and overseas. This course provides an intensive introduction to language teaching principles, approaches and methodology. It focuses on teaching English to adults.
The full time course is highly intensive. Study time is approximately 35 hours a week. Some of this will be classroom time and some will be independent study. You will have an additional 2 - 3 hours per day of homework ( reading, assignments and lesson preparation) and should also be prepared to study at the weekends. The part-time course is less intensive, but you should allow an additional 10 hours a week study in addition to course time.
The nationally recognised 40649SA Certificate IV in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) that you receive on successful completion of the Cert IV TESOL course is accredited under the Australian Qualifications Training Framework (AQTF).
The Training Center in Brisbane is a registered training organisation in Australia (RTO). RTO qualifications are recognised throughout Australia and increasingly in other countries.
- No teaching experience is required.
- 4 week course: IELTS 7.5 - the higher level required is due to the intense nature of the 4 week course.
- 12 week Course: Upper Intermediate level of English/5.5 IELTS.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
It is sometimes possible for students to be granted credit towards units in the course on the basis of their prior learning experience or of current competency in the field of TESOL.
If you believe you already meet some or all of the assessment criteria of the 40649SA Certificate IV in TESOL because of your work or education in TESOL or you already have had a lot of experience or education in TESOL, you may be elegible for RPL. However, you need to provide a significant amount of evidence.
The fee for RPL assessment is 50% of the course price, so we advise you to read the information carefully (contact us) before you decide to apply for RPL. Beware! If you do not have enough evidence for the full certificate or a statement of attainment and if you later decide to take the full course, you will have to pay the full course fee, in addition to the RPL assessment fee.
The Training Center will recognise a Statement of Attainment awarded in the Certificate IV in TESOL by any Registered Training Organisation in Australia. If you wish to have your Statement of Attainment recognised by us, please provide this with your application for training or to be considered for RPL.
- Adult learners – Motivation and learning styles
- Language analysis and awareness – Basic concepts and terminology used by English teachers, introduction to sounds of English and how to teach pronunciation
- Practical approaches for teaching language – grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation
- Practical approaches for teaching language skills – listening, reading speaking and writing
- Principles of lesson planning
- Teaching materials and resources
- Classroom management techniques
- Design of courses in the VET sector
- Teaching practice (6 assessed hours): A valuable opportunity to practice the skills you will learn on the course.
- Supervised lesson planning: Your experienced tutors will guide you in designing your own lesson plans and introduce you to a range of teaching resources and materials
- Feedback and counselling: Detailed personalised feedback from your tutor for all your lessons, as well as regular progress reports and individual counselling. You will also have the opportunity to discuss your lesson with the other participants on the course.
Full Time Timetable: Monday to Friday from 9.00 am to approximately 5.30.
Part-Time Timetable: Monday and Wednesday evenings from 5.45- 9.00 pm and on alternate Saturdays from 9.00 am to 4.30 pm).
1. There is no final examination.
2. Assessment is continuous and is based on:
Classroom teaching practice (planning, teaching, discussion & reflection) for six hours
Written Assignments X 3
- All assessment tasks should be handed in to the tutor by the due date or time specified on the Cert IV TESOL timetable.
- You should retain a copy of your assessment task.
- Requests for Extensions: In exceptional circumstances a request can be made for an extension, giving the reason for the request and the length of extension required. Any such requests should be made in writing to the tutor at least one day prior to the assignment due date. Granting of an extension is at the discretion of the Cert IV TESOL team.
- All assessed components must be completed within the course period. In exceptional circumstances, participants may apply to the Director to defer the course or defer course assessment. This must be done in writing prior to the end of the course.
The Certificate IV in TESOL enables you to apply for jobs that require a recognised TESOL qualification. It meets the requirements for English language teachers in Australia as specified by the National ELICOS Accreditation Scheme (NEAS). Many language schools from around the world recruit teachers directly from our programmes.
Job Hunting Support:
- The Certificate IV in TESOL course includes a job workshop which gives practical advice and information on all aspects of finding a job.
- Tutors and specialist staff are available for individual counselling and advice
- We send you regular email bulletins with details of positions available with our partner schools and other institutions around the world
In some cases it is a good idea to have both of these qualifications. Out training centre in Brisbane has organised a blended CELTA and Certificate IV in TESOL course that facilitates getting both at the same time and avoids duplicating activities that serve for gaining both qualifications. Sensible huh?
CELTA and Certificate IV in TESOL Similarities and Differences
- Both are pre-service qualifications in TESOL and both meet the TESOL requirements of NEAS (www.neas.org.au) Australia for working in accredited language schools in the overseas student sector.
- The CELTA qualification is awarded by University of Cambridge ESOL.
- The Cert IV in TESOL is awarded under the Australian Qualifications Framework by a registered training organisation.
- Both courses can be taken intensively (4 week course) or as a part time (12 week) course.
- Course content and assessment for CELTA and Certificate IV in TESOL are similar: Teaching practice, feedback, aided lesson development, assignments, no final exam.
Having the CELTA Only:
- CELTA is recognised in Australia and throughout the world. Some employers (e.g. overseas, many private colleges in Australia catering to overseas students) prefer their teachers to have the CELTA.
- If you’re planning to work overseas or in a normal English language college for overseas students in Australia, just do CELTA. There is no need for the extra work and stress of doing two identical qualifications.
Having the 40540SA Cert IV in TESOL Only:
- The 40540SA Cert IV in TESOL is recognised primarily in Australia.
- The 40540SA Cert IV in TESOL is designed to provide knowledge and skills for working within the competency based Australian VET sector. Australian based vocational training colleges, schools for adult literacy, aboriginal English language projects, NGO organisational training for Australia and overseas prefer 40540SA Cert IV in TESOL.
- If you are looking for funding, you may get it for Cert IV in TESOL.
Advantages of a Dual Qualification: CELTA and Certificate IV in TESOL
- Flexibility and open options: Both are recognised in Australia but a dual qualification can give flexibility to work in the vocational training sector at home or to work in the Language School sector overseas.
- Funding: Where a grant is available, some government bodies will only fund participants doing Australian recognised courses, such as Cert IV in TESOL.
Blended CELTA and Certificate IV in TESOL Course Structure
Step 1 - Face to Face
Do the CELTA course together with the many units of the Cert IV in TESOL that are exactly the same. You are simultaneously assessed against two different sets of criteria.
Step 2 - Online
Complete the remaining learning activities and written assessment for Cert IV TESOL tasks online.
Dual Qualification Workload
The duration of the Cert IV in TESOL is 20 hours more than the CELTA. The additional 20 hours are completed online after completing the CELTA course.
Time limit to completing the online component: Normally we expect this to be completed within 2 weeks of the end of the full time course and within 4 weeks of the end of the part time course.
If you are an Australian National, funding may be applicable. More information on application.
|Brisbane Cert IV TESOL 4 weeks||CELTA Course (for those interested in dual-qualification)|
|2 January – 25 January*||Same dates as Cert IV TESOL|
|25 March – 19 April||Same dates as Cert IV TESOL|
|17 June - 12 July||Same dates as Cert IV TESOL|
|9 September - 4 October||Same dates as Cert IV TESOL|
|Total Cert IV on TESOL: $3,075
Total CELTA + Cert IV in TESOL: $3375 + assessment fee of £118*
Remember for non-native speakers, IELTS 7.5 / an Advanced or Proficient Language Level is required to meet the demands of this intensive course.