The 60-hour University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations Young Learners Extension to CELTA course that we offer in Barcelona is especially designed for CELTA qualified teachers who wish to extend their skills to include those necessary for teaching English to young learners.
The course is based on teaching practice and lesson evaluation, and is overtly practical in content and approach.
The programme comprises 30 hours of seminars and workshops and 30 hours of teaching practice, teaching practice feedback and assisted lesson preparation.
The course is aimed at teachers that are already qualified with the Cambridge CELTA Certificate and have some post-CELTA teaching experience. Eligible candidates receive an Endorsement to their CELTA awards from Cambridge University ESOL Examinations and a Progress Report.
The YL extension to CELTA course programme is designed to enable candidates to:
- transfer and apply their awareness of language and knowledge of the description of English from an adult to a young learner context
- gain an initial understanding of the context within which young learners learn English, their motivations and the roles of the teacher and learner
- transfer, adapt and apply the principles of effective teaching from an adult to a young learner context
- transfer, adapt and apply basic skills for teaching English in the classroom from an adult to a young learner context
- gain an initial awareness of appropriate resources and materials for use with young learners of English for teaching, testing and for reference
- continue to identify opportunities for their future development as professionals in this field.
Candidates are assessed on a continuous basis, with particular emphasis on their ability to teach young learners, along with their written assignments and their professional development.
Full-time over 12 days. The course is very intensive and requires a full-time commitment. Full attendance is very important.
It is not possible or advisable to hold even a part-time job while on the course.
|August 22nd - 6th September|
|Total course fee (to be paid at least six weeks before the course begins): 1045€ including Cambridge ESOL registration fee.|
The Teacher Training Center is also linked to a long established (i.e. 1972) Spanish language school in Barcelona , the school is located in the same building as the training center.
If you are planning to look for teaching work in Spain or South America after completing your course, and your Spanish language skills are limited, we suggest you to consider taking a Spanish language course before or after completing your teacher training course.
The most popular Spanish course being offered is the 'standard' Spanish course; it consists of 20 hours tuition per week with classes normally held from 09.30-13.30, Monday to Friday.
The Spanish course is offered at any level , with international groups of students with other language learners.
|Duration||Enrol for as many weeks as you like before or after your teacher training programme.|
|Timetable||Monday to Friday, 09.30 to 13.30, with a twenty-minute break.|
|Number of hours||
4 hours tuition per day
|Size of classes||7 average, with a maximum of 10|
|Levels||All levels , from complete beginners to very advanced T|
New courses start every week.
If you already have some knowledge of Spanish and you are not an absolute beginner, you can start your course on any Monday of the year (except public holidays *).
* In 2011, in the weeks of April 25, June 13, August 15 and December 26 our Spanish classes will start on the Tuesday due to public holidays
* In 2012, in the weeks of April 9, May 28 and September 24 our Spanish classes will start on the Tuesday due to public holidays
- 1 week: €205 / 2 weeks: €410
- Discounted price per week when booking 3 or more weeks: €195
What's included in the price?
The price of the course includes booking , the pre-course level test, all course materials, our programme of social and cultural activities , our student card (and the discounts it entitles you to) and access to all the school's facilities , including free Internet usage.
Note that there is no registration fee for our courses or any other hidden extra costs.
- If you believe you cover the minimum entry requirements for the CELTA Young Learners Extension course offered in Barcelona ask for the YL Extension to CELTA course application form indicating the course starting date that interests you the most.
- Candidates should complete the application form and return it via email to the Programmes Coordinator, well in advance, 2 to 3 months in advance would be ideal. Late applications will be accepted provided there are places remaining on the course.
- The applicants need to include an updated copy of their CV.
- As part of your application, you will need to provide three referees.
- CELTA YL Extension course applicants who have satisfactorily completed the application form for Barcelona will be invited to attend an interview shortly after this date with the main course tutor, face to face at the Training Center, or on the telephone (at their own cost) if you are not residing within the Barcelona region.
- After the interview, all successful applicants will receive an offer of a place on the YL Extension to CELTA course of their choice immediately, if there is a place available.
- After receiving an offer of place, you will have one week (7 days) from the moment they offer you the vacancy to pay a non-refundable deposit, as part of the total fees, in order to secure your vacancy on the course.
- Remember that you should not make any payment until you have received an offer of place (by e-mail).
- 6 weeks prior the course commencement you will have to pay the balance.
- The demand for vacancies on the CELTA YL Extension courses in Barcelona is very high. Applicants are advised to apply well in advance before the starting date, although there are occasionally places available due to last-minute cancellations.
Payments (deposit & balance) can be made directly to the School via Bank Transfer, Bank Cheque, VISA or MASTERCARD.
Please note that you will be responsible for any bank charges or credit card transaction fees, even if you have already paid bank charges in your own country. So please, when paying make sure that the payment to the School is "free of charges" since the School has to receive the whole net amount in EUROS.
In all cases of cancellation the School will retain 10% of fees paid to cover administrative costs. In the case of cancellation six weeks or more before the course starting date, 20% of the total fee will be retained. With less than six weeks' notice, 50% of the fee will be retained.
If cancellation occurs in the final ten days before the starting date the total fee will be retained.
However, in certain exceptional circumstances the School will consider transferring the fees to another course. No transfer is made if notice is insufficient to allow for the finding of a substitute candidate.